Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
george2fleet
Level 7

Roku 3 unable to connect

I have a Roku 3 for maybe four years.  Have had no problems.  Recently did not use the unit for about two months.  When trying to use it all I get is the Roku letters dancing around on a blue screen.  Remote is showing paired.  Has not control.  Have disconnected unit several times.  Switched TVs.  Have reset three times.  Still get dancing letters and that is all.  
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: Roku 3 unable to connect

"george2fleet" wrote:
I have a Roku 3 for maybe four years.  Have had no problems.  Recently did not use the unit for about two months.  When trying to use it all I get is the Roku letters dancing around on a blue screen.  Remote is showing paired.  Has not control.  Have disconnected unit several times.  Switched TVs.  Have reset three times.  Still get dancing letters and that is all.  

Sounds like it's hung up in the bootup loop. Keep in mind that the Roku 3 dates to 2013, with the last built in 2016. While it's still a heckuva device -- Roku's best ever, in my opinion, they do get old. Mine still works, but it's not totally unexpected for a device that age to be reaching end of life.

If you have another such device -- a Roku 3 model 4200, Roku 3 model 4230, or Roku 2 model 4210 -- try swapping power supplies. If that's not possible, a hard factory reset might be in order, but I'd do that as a last resort. To do that, while plugged in, depress the Reset button for no less than 30 seconds. Don't mind what's on the screen, no less than 30 seconds.

Failing that, it may be time to retire the device. Or, it's retired itself.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 11

If you have an SD card installed in the Roku3, try removing it and see if that will allow it to complete the boot up.  I've not experienced this, but I've read it can sometimes help.
Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100
Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi connected - JVC EM37T
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"makaiguy" wrote:
If you have an SD card installed in the Roku3, try removing it and see if that will allow it to complete the boot up.  I've not experienced this, but I've read it can sometimes help.

^^ Yes! Do try this! I have experienced it before, and have no excuse for not thinking of it in my previous response. This may do the trick.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
ChrisG13
Level 7

I have the same problem with my Roku 3 - never getting past dancing Roku screen. This unit doesn’t have an SD card slot. Have tried all the options I’ve read about to fix
- reset button for 30 seconds
- reset the remote control connection (3 seconds on the button under the battery cover).
- turning power on and off
- connecting the unit directly to my router using a LAN cable

Would appreciate some help from Roku tech. Have only had the unit for 3 years and will have to bin it and look to a different brand for a replacement.
0 Kudos