Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jandrfas
Level 7

Roku 3 flickers to black screen

Jump to solution

My Roku 3 has been working flawlessly for over 2 years. Recently I decided to cut the cord on cable and switch to all streaming for TV.  All of a sudden, my Roku has started flickering to a black screen occasionally, but it’s frustrating because it doesn’t happen all the time. Some days it works flawlessly just like it always has. Other days it will flicker to black once a minute or so. Other days it will flicker a couple times a minute. When it flickers, it goes to black for maybe a second, then goes back to normal until the next flicker.  The flicker happens regardless of what the Roku is doing (doesn’t matter which app is playing, or even if it’s playing an app at all. It even happens on the screensaver.)

Things I’ve tried so far (without success):

- Restarting the Roku using the system restart on the menu

- Rebooting the Roku by disconnecting the power for a minute, then plugging it back in

- Changing settings from auto detect display to fixed 1080p

- Changing from wifi to hard wired Internet (5inking maybe it was so sort of wifi interference)

- Swapping out HDMI cables with brand new ones 

My setup: Roku 3 with HDMI cable going to what used to be the cable box input of my Sony surround sound receiver. HDMI cable going from the receiver to the TV input. Before getting rid of cable I had the Roku HDMI going to the “game” I out of the receiver, but switched it over to the Satellite/CATV port as it is now my primary watching device, and that is the receiver is default port when it is powered on. I haven’t tried tang back to the game port to see if it makes a difference, but in theory it shouldn’t. 

I’ve  read that maybe I should try connecting the Roku directly to the TV and using an optical audio cable to connect to the receiver.  However, that doesn’t seem necessary since my Roku has worked fine for 2 years being connected through the receiver. I can try it if necessary but I don’t have an optical cable on hand (not a big deal).

I'd appreciate any advice.  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jandrfas
Level 7

Re: Roku 3 flickers to black screen

Jump to solution

Update:  New Year's Eve we watched two movies on Disney Plus and it didn't glitch once.  Over 4 hours of flawless viewing. New Years Day it was back to glitching about once a minute while watching the Rose Parade on YoutubeTV.  Ugh!! Makes you want to pull your hair out because it falls somewhere between "don't mess with it, it's working fine" and perpetual insanity.  

I swapped out Roku boxes with a known good one that was installed elsewhere in the house, and the situation didn't change.  The one from the living room worked great on the other TV and the one that we swapped from the other set behaved the same way in the living room, so obviously it is not a box issue - it is something in the setup.  And it likely isn't a cabling issue since I already swapped out all the cables.  That leaves the receiver as the last remaining culprit.  Either that, or some kind of external interference that only shows up sometimes.  The obvious questions are then:

1) Why did this just now start happening?  As I've mentioned before, I've been using the Roku box for years and never had this issue (although it wasn't my primary viewing device until a few weeks ago when I cut the cord, I did watch a lot of baseball games via MLB TV and never had this kind of problem).

2) Why does the problem only happen sometimes?

With all that in mind, I just purchased an optical audio cable (about $8 on Amazon) and switched the setup over.  The Roku is now connected directly to the TV, and the TV is passing audio to the receiver via the optical cable.  Very easy setup change and so far everything is golden.  If it doesn't go back to glitching I've found my solution.  If not, I don't know what my next step will be.

Stay tuned - I'll post updates for the benefit of the forum in a few days.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jandrfas
Level 7

Jump to solution

Update:  New Year's Eve we watched two movies on Disney Plus and it didn't glitch once.  Over 4 hours of flawless viewing. New Years Day it was back to glitching about once a minute while watching the Rose Parade on YoutubeTV.  Ugh!! Makes you want to pull your hair out because it falls somewhere between "don't mess with it, it's working fine" and perpetual insanity.  

I swapped out Roku boxes with a known good one that was installed elsewhere in the house, and the situation didn't change.  The one from the living room worked great on the other TV and the one that we swapped from the other set behaved the same way in the living room, so obviously it is not a box issue - it is something in the setup.  And it likely isn't a cabling issue since I already swapped out all the cables.  That leaves the receiver as the last remaining culprit.  Either that, or some kind of external interference that only shows up sometimes.  The obvious questions are then:

1) Why did this just now start happening?  As I've mentioned before, I've been using the Roku box for years and never had this issue (although it wasn't my primary viewing device until a few weeks ago when I cut the cord, I did watch a lot of baseball games via MLB TV and never had this kind of problem).

2) Why does the problem only happen sometimes?

With all that in mind, I just purchased an optical audio cable (about $8 on Amazon) and switched the setup over.  The Roku is now connected directly to the TV, and the TV is passing audio to the receiver via the optical cable.  Very easy setup change and so far everything is golden.  If it doesn't go back to glitching I've found my solution.  If not, I don't know what my next step will be.

Stay tuned - I'll post updates for the benefit of the forum in a few days.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
okiedolphin0521
Level 7

Jump to solution

Any updates as this is now happening to me. 

0 Kudos
kjkcjk
Level 7

Jump to solution

seemingly same issue, tv flickers off and on abruptly and then finally all black - however I can faintly see the Roku screen behind the black when this very sporadically occurs...and roku is working properly and can switch to TV Antenna and it still stays black...  did a soft reset, have unplugged, tried different HDMI ports on TV and still had the problem occur - didn't try a different HDMI cable since I don't have one - but the problem didn't follow the HDMI port.  Unplugged TV, tried different power plugs on TV etc... no changes.

Did a 'hard' reset with the pin on the Roku #3 - so far so good.  

0 Kudos
How
Level 7

Jump to solution

I believe this black screen issue is caused by having any other device connected to the Roku system. I have three Roku Ultras, one is connected through an AV receiver, the other feeds two TVs through an HDMI splitter. And the third is connected directly to the TV. The only one that does not have the blackout problems is the one connected directly. If I connect either one of the other TVs directly to the Roku, the problem goes away. If you are having that issue, try the direct connection first, if that resolves the issue, you can decide on various alternative hookups to get the system you want, or just live with the occasional black if you don't want to give up some of the functionality you have with specialized hookups. Just my two cents worth...

0 Kudos