Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andyboy
Level 7

Roku 2500x Hangs while retrieving

I have a Roku 2500x that has not given me any problems until perhaps the past few months. My last system update was I believe January 14, 2019, or thereabout.

Problems:
1. I can open channels and browse their content but I cannot watch any content unless I restart my Roku box. Afterwards I can watch various content indefinitely but 24 hours later I will have the same problem until I restart the box again. I don't know when in the 24 hours it would start to fail.
2. I cannot watch any content on the Nowhere Archive channel any more regardless if I restart the Roku box or not. The content page updates with new entries over time (weeks) but whenever I try to watch anything it freezes on "retrieving" at about 30% on the progress bar. I have searched for "Nowhere" on this forum and i see talk about similar named channels no longer existing but those posts date back to when the channel still worked.

I have tried paring my channel list from about 90 to around 40. Then I did a factory reset. Neither of these helped.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Roku 2500x Hangs while retrieving

"andyboy" wrote:
I have a Roku 2500x that has not given me any problems until perhaps the past few months. My last system update was I believe January 14, 2019, or thereabout.

Problems:
1. I can open channels and browse their content but I cannot watch any content unless I restart my Roku box. Afterwards I can watch various content indefinitely but 24 hours later I will have the same problem until I restart the box again. I don't know when in the 24 hours it would start to fail.
2. I cannot watch any content on the Nowhere Archive channel any more regardless if I restart the Roku box or not. The content page updates with new entries over time (weeks) but whenever I try to watch anything it freezes on "retrieving" at about 30% on the progress bar. I have searched for "Nowhere" on this forum and i see talk about similar named channels no longer existing but those posts date back to when the channel still worked.

I have tried paring my channel list from about 90 to around 40. Then I did a factory reset. Neither of these helped.

Overnight, Roku does a check for updates. Don't know if this is the time when things start going poorly, but you can mimic that by forcing the device to check for updates. This would rule in or out that as a cause.

Apart from that, having done a factory reset, and since after a day of running, it begins misbehaving, that indicates you may be reaching end of life for that device. That's a shame as you've had 5-7 years good service (the Roku HD 2500 was released in April 2012 and discontinued in September 2013). I have one device that old that I still use on occasion. It may be time to plan a shopping exercise.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
andyboy
Level 7

I wasn't sure what a failing box looked like. I figured if it is digital, it either works %100 or %0 and nothing in between. Netflix always worked fine, but today I had to restart the box to get Netflix to work. Maybe it is time.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"andyboy" wrote:
I wasn't sure what a failing box looked like. I figured if it is digital, it either works %100 or %0 and nothing in between. Netflix always worked fine, but today I had to restart the box to get Netflix to work. Maybe it is time.

Perhaps others have a suggestion that may help extend the life of the device. But, beginning to research what device to replace with might be a good idea. I like the Ultra, but it's the most expensive Roku. There are cheaper options, but I'm not high on the Express. My Stick works well, as does my Premiere.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos