Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mail2bhav
Level 7

Roku 2 not displaying

I have a Roku 2 which was working fine until recently when it stopped displaying. When I connect the power cable, I see the white light turn on (does not blink). When I connect the ethernet cable I see light blinking at the ethernet cable. When I try to connect the HDMI cable there is no output on the TV. I have tried rebooting but no response. I have tried using different HDMI cables but still no response. I even tried using it on a different TV and it still does not work. Overall, I know the device turns on and the ethernet cable and HDMI cable work. It is only an issue with HDMI output from Roku to the TV. I have tried different HDMI ports on the TV with different input settings on the TV too. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
0 Kudos
9 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Roku 2 not displaying

Do you even see the bouncing Roku logo when you power it on? You might try a hard reset. Find the recessed reset button and hold it for 30 seconds and see if you get a display back. 
However, the Roku 2 is so old that it's certainly possible that it has just failed. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
mail2bhav
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
Do you even see the bouncing Roku logo when you power it on? You might try a hard reset. Find the recessed reset button and hold it for 30 seconds and see if you get a display back. 
However, the Roku 2 is so old that it's certainly possible that it has just failed. 

No bouncing Roku logo. Tried hard reset and did not work.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Sure sounds like it completely died then. My condolences. Time to go shopping for a new one. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
mail2bhav
Level 7

I guess I shall keep trying for now. Thanks for the input though
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 7

The other component to this is its power adapter. Would be good testing it or swapping it. They do fail.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

I agree about the power adapter.. they're pretty cheap to replace.. if it still fails, try a factory reset on the box (hold the reset button while powering on, for 30 seconds).
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
mail2bhav
Level 7

I doubt its a the problem with the adapter because the white light turns on every time I connect the power cable. I tried hard reset already by holding it down for 30 secs
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"mail2bhav" wrote:
I doubt its a the problem with the adapter because the white light turns on every time I connect the power cable. I tried hard reset already by holding it down for 30 secs

If it's underpowering the Roku -- providing some power, but insufficient to run properly -- you might have issues. Not saying it's the issue, but Jeff's suggestion is a good one. It's cheaper to replace than a Roku. Unless you just want to upgrade your Roku.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
mail2bhav
Level 7

Ok sounds fair.. I will definitely give it a try. 
0 Kudos