Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: Roku 2 XD... time to upgrade?

"Chicken" wrote:
The new Rokus are just as buggy and still cannot accomplish half the things you might expect.  I regret buying one, it was a waste of money.

I've owned Roku products since 2009.. I must not be as good as knowing a bug when I see one.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

"Chicken" wrote:
The new Rokus are just as buggy and still cannot accomplish half the things you might expect.  I regret buying one, it was a waste of money.

You seem to be posting in numerous threads to complain about your Roku. But in the thread you created about your Android app, you wouldn't answer the questions the moderator asked. We would all be happy to assist, but you have to provide better information. But if all you want to do is rant...
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
theuser86
Level 7

Sorry OP - trolls gonna troll.
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
"Chicken" wrote:

You seem to be posting in numerous threads to complain about your Roku. But in the thread you created about your Android app, you wouldn't answer the questions the moderator asked. We would all be happy to assist, but you have to provide better information. But if all you want to do is rant...

Pretty sure I did answer his question, all he has to do is try it himself and there will be no question.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

"Chicken" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:
"Chicken" wrote:

Pretty sure I did answer his question, all he has to do is try it himself and there will be no question.

No, you didn't. He asked for your Android version. He also said he would try to replicate the issue, and you blew him off. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
theuser86
Level 7

"Chicken" wrote:
"theuser86" wrote:

No, I just expect too much I guess.  I see this mentality every time I ask people who know almost nothing they try to fall back on this one.

I’m deeply saddened you’re just too intelligent to use a Roku.

For someone who knows almost nothing I’ve had my Roku devices running magnificently circa 2013.
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

"theuser86" wrote:
"Chicken" wrote:
"theuser86" wrote:

No, I just expect too much I guess.  I see this mentality every time I ask people who know almost nothing they try to fall back on this one.

I’m deeply saddened you’re just too intelligent to use a Roku.

For someone who knows almost nothing I’ve had my Roku devices running magnificently circa 2013.

It's all the pretend experts you should concern yourself with, not many problems are resolved based on what I see.
0 Kudos
fluke
Level 10

"Chicken" wrote:
"theuser86" wrote:

I'm sorry Chicken but your comment seems to simply an assertion with no details backing it.

But try what exactly?  What is the buggy behavior you found, what behavior did you expect and what are the steps to recreate it?  Whenever I file a bug report with any company, I am required to provide all three of those details.  You didn't really provide any of those in this thread.  I'm not sure he can be expect to try it and see himself without question given the lack of details.  I also doubt most people would try to go through your entire forum post history to try to figure out.  So, to that extent, I would agree that you are expecting too much.

I believe there has been cases that channels had to be updated to address changes in Brightscript but the issue doesn't seem to come up that often, only impact the specific channel and usually gets fixed for the majority of mainstream channels.

There have also been indications that some customers might have gotten a lemon device or have a TV or amplifier that did not interact correctly with the Roku.  It is hard to tell what device was the blame in those situations and it is not reasonable to expect everyone will be able to recreate these one-off issues without question.
There have been a couple cases that I could sympathize with members of the Roku user community being frustrated.  However, both of the issues were more policy related than technical bugs.

One frustration is PlexRetro channel is being removed on June 3rd and some users have expressed great dissatisfaction with the replacement.  The worst part is, at least for a while, there seem to just be finger pointing between the Roku and Plex forums on who is responsible.  Ultimately, my personal belief is Plex is responsible for if they want to include a classic UI channel or not.  But based on what I read on both forums, some users were not at all please with the responses and the lack of transparency as to why exactly the change needed to happen.  As June 3rd comes up, I expect that drama may flare again.  While I can somewhat understand fans of the retro channel deciding Roku is no longer for them, I am also sad to see them go over it.

The other frustration is how purchases that included Angry Birds available for purchase on the Roku store.  I personally through this specific situation was handled poorly by Roku.  My perspective is that of largely buying my games through Valve's Steam marketplace were game companies remove a game from listing of future sales but any existing sales are final and the customer can always redownload the game.  Roku's marketplace purchases appear not to work the same as Steam's.  At some point it appears Rovio and Roku parted ways and not only could you no longer purchase the game but downloading it disappeared as well.  If a Roku support ask you to factory reset the Roku or the Roku was replaced under warranty or you upgraded the Roku, in each of those cases the game just couldn't be re-installed.  To be fair to Roku, other app marketplaces have had similar issues.  Nintendo shutdown the Wii Shop Channel which kept customers from ever downloading again their purchases.  Apple made it impossible for iphone/ipad customers to move forward with hardware upgrades and continue to use 32-bit only app purchases.  So to some extent Roku is functioning similar to majority of app marketplaces.  At the same time, the handling of it has put a chilling effect on me making additional purchases on the Roku Channel store.

Regardless, neither of these indicate that Roku is a "buggy" or really that it is even any worse than the other media player on the market.  

While I'm not trying to dismiss your feedback, it is being called out for trolling because it is currently lacking substance to work off of.  Please clarify what you mean exactly by "buggy" or what are "half the things [a customer] might expect."  You are presenting assertions as if they should be agreed upon facts which makes it impossible to have a meaningful two way conversation.
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 7

Only one person actually read what I wrote apparently b/c he understood perfectly, others only read for the purpose of twisting everything around.  I've read the threads, there's similar tone in most.

"I just tried this on my Ultra. I can change the name and location using the roku app on my android phone. Maybe I am not reading carefully enough what you’re trying to do."

others only read for the purpose of twisting everything around.  I've read the threads, there's similar tone everywhere.

The Roku will not accomplish what I expected of it, I'll find something useful.
0 Kudos
fluke
Level 10

"Chicken" wrote:
Only one person actually read what I wrote apparently b/c he understood perfectly, others only read for the purpose of twisting everything around.  I've read the threads, there's similar tone in most.

"I just tried this on my Ultra. I can change the name and location using the roku app on my android phone. Maybe I am not reading carefully enough what you’re trying to do."

others only read for the purpose of twisting everything around.  I've read the threads, there's similar tone everywhere.

The Roku will not accomplish what I expected of it, I'll find something useful.

You are quoting from a different thread that someone already indicated they can *not* recreate the issue based on the details you provided so far.
I'm not trying to twist anything around.  If you have advice you think the original poster might find helpful, feel free to share it directly in this thread.  But in terms of how your expressing yourself right now, the feedback you are giving directly in this thread is incomplete.
What exactly did you expect of Roku?  What did you find to be more useful?  Why was it more useful?
0 Kudos