Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tenlbham
Level 7

Roku 2 XD... time to upgrade?

I've been using a Roku 2 XD since 2012 and have been pretty happy with it.  However, I've recently started watching some shows on cable channel (TBS, AMC) whose apps seem to regularly crash the Roku, causing it to reboot.  I made sure the OS is up to date, and the 2GB SD card was properly formatted.

Is the 2 XD getting to be too old to handle some of the channel apps?  Is something else going on, like do I need to unload some other channels that I don't use anymore (and how would I do that)?

Or maybe is it time to upgrade to a newer device with more processing power?

Thanks in advance
Charles Tenlbham
Roku 2 XD w/ 2GB SD card
0 Kudos
27 Replies
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: Roku 2 XD... time to upgrade?

Just buy a new Roku, ANY new Roku. It will be much faster than a Roku XD. A minor investment for a major improvement.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
theuser86
Level 7

Well I wouldn't say ANY Roku. I am not a fan of the new Roku Premiere and Premiere+ models (3920 ans 3921) that are Wireless N single-band 2.4 GHz only. Streaming Stick, Streaming Stick+ and Ultra all have Wireless AC. I have the old Premiere+ Model 4630 and it is solid with Wireless AC, so it is kind of misleading to give this subpar model the same name.

I agree 2.4 GHz is likely fast enough to stream Netflix. But in 2019, Wireless AC should be standard. As well, for local streaming of high bitrate content Wireless AC wins.
0 Kudos
tenlbham
Level 7

But is it more important to have wireless AC vs. N, or to have newer (better) processor?  I'm not planning on streaming much, if any, 4K content for a while so I'm not concerned about a bandwidth bottleneck there.
Charles Tenlbham
Roku 2 XD w/ 2GB SD card
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

I do not agree that "any" Roku will do and I also do not agree that a wireless option is good for streaming. 

My suggestion for a Roku is to get an Ultra and connect it wired so you are never impacted by the problems that wireless has.

Of course wireless does work OK for many people but it is just not best and the extra cost/trouble of getting the best Roku and connecting it the best way is simply time and money well spent.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
theuser86
Level 7

"tenlbham" wrote:
But is it more important to have wireless AC vs. N, or to have newer (better) processor?  I'm not planning on streaming much, if any, 4K content for a while so I'm not concerned about a bandwidth bottleneck there.

All the new models supposedly have the same CPU and RAM in them. See link below (while not official specs, best I could find).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku#Feature_comparison
0 Kudos
tenlbham
Level 7

"theuser86" wrote:
"tenlbham" wrote:

All the new models supposedly have the same CPU and RAM in them. See link below (while not official specs, best I could find).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku#Feature_comparison

I had looked at this wiki as well to get an idea of what to expect from the newer products.  The Premier is 7 years newer than my 2 XD, though the processor info I could find indicates the ARM Cortex A53 processor it uses came out in 2012, about a year after the 2 XD and its BCM2835... is that right??
Charles Tenlbham
Roku 2 XD w/ 2GB SD card
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

I exaggerated when I said to get "any" Roku..

My point was, you will notice a great speed increase as well as app compatibility with the newer Roku models.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
fluke
Level 10

The Roku 2 XD had 256 MB of RAM which translates to it using older versions of the channels.  It may also be possible some newer channels are not even available to install on the 2 XD.  This device also only supports the h.264 video codec.

If you upgrade to the Streaming Stick+ (3810) or Roku Ultra (4660/4661), you should find the Netflix channel a lot more polished along with any other channels that require a Roku with 512MB or more RAM.  The wireless remote is an improvement over the infra-red remote.  The 802.11ac dual-band support is a nice to have item but usually doesn't make a noticable difference.

The biggest downside to the new line of Roku is none of them have a mini-jack directly on the Roku itself.  The Roku 2 XD can be used to repurpose an old computer monitor without speakers since old computer speakers can easily be connected to the mini-jack.  Some new Roku have a mini-jack on the remote which is nice if you want to use headphones.  However, for using external speakers with a computer monitor the remote is mostly impractical.

It would be nice if the Roku Ultra USB port could be use to add the mini-jack back.  There are USB audio adapters available for under $10 that work with Linux and ChromeOS but as far as I know none of them work with Roku OS.  I believe if Roku branded one of these adapters for use with their streaming players and sold it in the Roku accessories store they could easily get away with charging $15 per adapter.
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 8

The new Rokus are just as buggy and still cannot accomplish half the things you might expect.  I regret buying one, it was a waste of money.
0 Kudos