Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hefe4711
Level 7

Re: Roku 1080-720 Issue - Still

I am having the same issue with my Roku as well.  After the Roku load screen I just get an invalid format message.  Is there a way for me to force and update or get the specs since I can't see anything on my Roku once it loads?  Is there a way to access it through Chrome if I know the IP address of my Roku so I can get the info or force an update that way?
0 Kudos
Footwedge
Level 7

"hefe4711" wrote:
I am having the same issue with my Roku as well.  After the Roku load screen I just get an invalid format message.  Is there a way for me to force and update or get the specs since I can't see anything on my Roku once it loads?  Is there a way to access it through Chrome if I know the IP address of my Roku so I can get the info or force an update that way?

I hope you get an answer from someone because nothing here has helped me in almost a month. OTOH, I don't know that I have the technological know how to do the stuff you suggest so I'm just hoping Roku just makes it work like the damn device I bought! Good luck.
0 Kudos
eelamkin
Level 7

"hefe4711" wrote:

I have the same issue, stupid thing switches to auto, or 1080p(not sure which), regardless, this series of remote commands works for me to get it back  to 720p:
If you are in auto mode, Try this:
Home Home Home
up
ok
down down down
ok
down
ok
wait 5 seconds
ok
wait 5 seconds
up
ok
Make sure your Roku is receiving the remote input, the light on the front will blink when you press a key
As far as I know there hasn't been an  update for the Roku Ultra...I keep checking:
Home 5x
FF 3x
RW 2x
this gets you to the update screen, and I haven't seen a new update since the end of October.
0 Kudos
eelamkin
Level 7

Actually, just tried it and it appears to be working correctly now.  Was able to turn the TV off and it stayed on 720p...looks like there was an update.  THe build version looks the  same, but the date has 11-15-2017 now instead of 10-26.  If it isn't working for you you should reply to Roku Shawn's post on page one of this topic requesting the model# and firmware build version...Good luck
0 Kudos
Footwedge
Level 7

"eelamkin" wrote:
"hefe4711" wrote:

I have the same issue, stupid thing switches to auto, or 1080p(not sure which), regardless, this series of remote commands works for me to get it back  to 720p:
If you are in auto mode, Try this:
Home Home Home
up
ok
down down down
ok
down
ok
wait 5 seconds
ok
wait 5 seconds
up
ok
Make sure your Roku is receiving the remote input, the light on the front will blink when you press a key
As far as I know there hasn't been an  update for the Roku Ultra...I keep checking:
Home 5x
FF 3x
RW 2x
this gets you to the update screen, and I haven't seen a new update since the end of October.

Hmmm, I've tried that sequence several times with no luck. Perhaps I'm not doing it correctly. Roku works perfectly on my newer small tv but get incorrect format screen on my larger screen tv - on which it was working perfectly before. Do you run the sequence on the incorrect format black screen and normal screen appears OR on the regular screen and then move Roku to the tv that wasn't working? As you can tell I am at the edge of my technology skills here and kind of resent having to beg fellow users for help. Thanks to all for the help here. 
0 Kudos
Redlancer
Level 7

Tried my roku expres last night and it was totally unresponsive.  Got the boot screen and then loked like it was locking up after tring to switch res. Have been doing the magic key sequence to get to 720p but this time couldnt even get the 'tick' sound of the remote response. Plugged it in this morning to my 1080 system and it seemed to work fine. Havent had a chance to  retry on the 720 system but likely getting ready to send this one to the 'old gear' box and build an openPHT odroid or Pi box for plex. If you're heavily into plex, I recommend looking at the embedded systems builds (official or 3rd party). Fun & cheap to build and really good performance. 

For something that worked perfectly since i bought it, these last rounds of updates broke the roku really quick. If i could just have v7 of the firmware back that would be great Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Biziosan
Level 7

I continue to have the same issue even with the most recent update to 8.0.1-build 4018-29. It seems to work when Roku resets. However, when the tv is off to begin with, the issue remains. It simply does not enforce my settings.

My Roku is a 4630X Premiere+. Version 7 was working just fine. Can we have it back? This has been an open issue for more than a month. I am considering to move away from Roku altogether.
0 Kudos
jsmiddleton4
Level 7

I've asked as well and have been told we're not going to be offered V7 as a fall back option.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 9

With the current 8.0, when switching TVs connected to the Roku, the Roku will change the setting to Auto mode. The remote key sequence I gave blindly changes the display mode to 720p if you are in auto mode at the time. In order for 720p to stick, you need to use the sequence while connected to the TV that is giving you the black screen, and then do not change the TV.
0 Kudos
Redlancer
Level 7

"RokuDale" wrote:
With the current 8.0, when switching TVs connected to the Roku, the Roku will change the setting to Auto mode. The remote key sequence I gave blindly changes the display mode to 720p if you are in auto mode at the time. In order for 720p to stick, you need to use the sequence while connected to the TV that is giving you the black screen, and then do not change the TV.

Problem is even without switching tv's, it seems to be reseting to auto just coming out of whatever its standby mode is. And the last time i tried the blind display change wasnt working (roku seemed to crash after boot)
0 Kudos