Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Footwedge
Level 7

Re: Roku 1080-720 Issue - Still

"RetiredGuy" wrote:
I was able to update the OS for my Express to the new build version that has solved my 720p - 1080p issue. Thanks to Roku Customer Service and to the troubleshooting technicians for the solution. Also, thanks for your persistence in the face of a bunch of frustrated clients. My wife really likes the Thanksgiving display. Take care.

Good but not clear what you did. Did you manually update or did it automatically update from Roku? Also, how did you get anyone to talk to you? That might be the most impressive part of this!
Thanks. 
0 Kudos
Knoethe
Level 7

Having this issue as well. Every time I turn off the tv it resets back and I have to do the blind menu.
Model 4400 X Roku 4
8.0.0 build 4128-17
0 Kudos
jsmiddleton4
Level 7

Interesting as that’s a different version number than some of us are getting.  
0 Kudos
RetiredGuy
Level 7

"Footwedge" wrote:
"RetiredGuy" wrote:
I was able to update the OS for my Express to the new build version that has solved my 720p - 1080p issue. Thanks to Roku Customer Service and to the troubleshooting technicians for the solution. Also, thanks for your persistence in the face of a bunch of frustrated clients. My wife really likes the Thanksgiving display. Take care.

Good but not clear what you did. Did you manually update or did it automatically update from Roku? Also, how did you get anyone to talk to you? That might be the most impressive part of this!
Thanks. 

I initially used the button sequence provided by RokuDale to make my latest Express 720p link with my TV. Once in, I noticed a new Thanksgiving Display, so something must have changed. I immediately went to system update and manually initiated an update of my OS for my Express. There was a sequenced update leading to the OS that now works fine for the Express I have. Roku may have issued so many different devices that there are OS revisions yet to come for specific devises.? There was no direct dialog with Roku staff. I only relied on the forum strings (three of them). Good luck and hang in! I feel your frustration. 
0 Kudos
Footwedge
Level 7

"RetiredGuy" wrote:
"Footwedge" wrote:
"RetiredGuy" wrote:

Thanks. 

I initially used the button sequence provided by RokuDale to make my latest Express 720p link with my TV. Once in, I noticed a new Thanksgiving Display, so something must have changed. I immediately went to system update and manually initiated an update of my OS for my Express. There was a sequenced update leading to the OS that now works fine for the Express I have. Roku may have issued so many different devices that there are OS revisions yet to come for specific devises.? There was no direct dialog with Roku staff. I only relied on the forum strings (three of them). Good luck and hang in! I feel your frustration. 

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'm still in the wilderness. I am still on the new old (old new?) build and the home 3X, up ok, etc. doesn't work so will content myself to watch on my smaller screen new tv until something happens.  BTW how does one manually update the OS? Not clear from the settings. 
In any event, best regards and happy Thanksgiving. 
0 Kudos
Redlancer
Level 7

Any updates on this? The issue seems to be pretty quiet the last week or so.

I've been checking daily for an updated FW but am still on the v8 that is not working. Wife wants to get rid of the device and get something that 'just works' since every time she wants to watch Plex she can't until I show up to do the magic black-screen button sequence to get it back to 720p

And no, I don't think she's interested in learning any magic sequence. URDDDRDEUE is about 9 buttons too many for her to bother...  Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
MrDifficult
Level 7

Update fixed it for me, but I wanted my tv to stay at 1080 and not revert to 720.  Does your 720 TV have a matching Beta player and cassette deck?
0 Kudos
Footwedge
Level 7

"Redlancer" wrote:
Any updates on this? The issue seems to be pretty quiet the last week or so.

I've been checking daily for an updated FW but am still on the v8 that is not working. Wife want to get rid of the device and get something that 'just works' since every time she wants to watch Plex she can't until I show up to do the magic black-screen button sequence to get it back to 720p

And no, I don't think she's interested in learning any magic sequence. URDDDRDEUE is about 9 buttons too many for her to bother...  Smiley Happy

I'm in the same boat with the dear Mrs, Redlancer! Maybe my problem is the stupid button pushing sequence  - I have seen several different versions and either I'm not doing them right or they don't work for me. The one in your post apparently works so I'll give it a try but would REALLY like this issue actually solved rather than worked around.
0 Kudos
Redlancer
Level 7

"MrDifficult" wrote:
Update fixed it for me, but I wanted my tv to stay at 1080 and not revert to 720.  Does your 720 TV have a matching Beta player and cassette deck?

My laser disc player finally died, so had no choice to get out the Beta player. Getting the signal from composite out to HDMI was hard enough without first going through the s-video switch box.

Agreed that 720p is quaint in the days of 4K and beyond, but that equipment is all in my main home theater room. The old 720p projector was relegated to the bedroom and the easiest/best way to get plex on it was a roku. If the only work-around for not being able to get a 720p signal is find a completely different plex client than so be it, but not really the best way to go. The roku express was supposed to be a cheap and easy upgrade from the horrible plex interface that was on the old Sony bluray player I had in there (which it was) until the last update broke it's only function I was using it for.
0 Kudos
Deadmonkey
Level 7

Hello all.
I'm having the same issue as everybody else.
I can't view 1080 resolution.
Each day it seems to revert the 720p to auto setting and every day In have to set it back.
For me it seems to display long enough to change back to 720p if I power cycle my amp/receiver. I.E. goes from Roku > Receiver > TV. Same issue going strait to TV.

Model: 4630x - Roku Premiere+
S/N: YR00G6470254
Software: 8.0.1 build 4018-29

Edit: I stand corrected. Seems to work fine bypassing (straight from Roku to TV) the receiver but I hooked all back the way it was (Roku > Receiver > TV) and picks up 1080p now but the audio cuts in and out! Art! Back to 720p I go.
0 Kudos