Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dc57

Re: Roku 1 suddenly shows wrong screen aspect ratio

Jump to solution

I have the same problem with the aspect ratio/resolution...intermittently the image is blown up and only the upper left quadrant fits on the screen.  This recently started after I "upgraded" to a Roku Ultra.  It is wired to a Samsung monitor.  It appears to be an issue on the Roku side, since so far I have seen it on Hulu and Amazon Prime.  The issue appears to resolve after I do a Roku reboot.  I would appreciate a firm solution to this annoyance.

0 Kudos
BBig

Jump to solution

I unplugged mine and then plugged it back in. Fixed it. I do have to do this every time. I am also wondering if the actual size of the TV makes a difference, my 55 inch changes but not the 43 inch.

0 Kudos
MCRodgers
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am also having the same issue. However, even though it seemingly resolves when the Roku device is rebooted, when the tv is turned off and back on the next day, the screen aspect ratio is screwed up again. 

0 Kudos
Cherylnuty
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This issue is really getting on my nerves. I have a 40” smart TV & the screen ratio is well of but if I plug in to my daughters 32 it goes back to normal. I have tried every single thing on here that has been suggested & nothing. I’m paying for extra channels that I can no longer watch as you lose most of the screen! 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Cherylnuty

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more specific information about the issue you are experiencing?
-did you originally set up the device on your TV or your daughters TV

-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
-screenshot of the issue

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Cherylnuty
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi Danny I originally set this up with my 40” smart TV. The model is 3930EU, serial X00400W13WEA Software version 10.5.0 build 4208-AE 

I honestly can’t remember how long it’s been like this for now I know it’s been a while. I don’t understand why it all of a sudden started doing it. I’m having to use it on my daughters tv at the moment just so I can get the information for you. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I have been having this issue for the past couple of days. Was able to unplug and plug in the HDMI cable and get it back correct until tonight. I went into the display settings on the Roku and changed the display to the correct aspect instead of "Auto Detect" and so far it is fine. Might be the fix needed for everyone.

0 Kudos
JL2022

Re: Why is my image aspect ratio suddenly the wrong size?

Jump to solution

Look for an "Aspect" button on your TV remote.  We had the same sudden enlargement problem.  Someone must have bumped this button and it had switched to "cinema" setting.  We put it back to a normal setting and all is well!

0 Kudos
Nyeshaaaa

Jump to solution

I had this problem just now. I fixed it. Went to tv picture settings, click hdmi, changed hdmi picture setting to “normal” then scrolled down a little and clicked “apply to alll”. Helped mine straighten out. Even though I do not use HDMI, it still fixed mine! 

0 Kudos
AndyLaw58
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have exactly the same issue right down to the fact my aspect ratio for programs viewed is not affected, only that of the ROKO control/access screens and streaming apps control/access screens. Did you achieve a fix?

0 Kudos