Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jimndebf
Reel Rookie

Return a device - invalid serial #

Trying to return a dead Roku Ultra (model #:4800X). When I try to process the return - it is telling me the device must be linked to my account. When I try to link it to my account - it requires the serial number. When I enter the serial # - it tells me it is invalid. 

The serial # on the box & on the physical device is: S02C213XT77K

I couldn’t tell if the 2nd character was numeric (zero) or alphanumeric (letter O) - so I tried them both - and got the same “invalid serial #” error.

I can provide a picture of the serial # label on the box if needed.

I don’t know what to do at this point- please advise…

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Return a device - invalid serial #

I assume you can't navigate to Settings->System->About to get the serial number.  That number you have that's labeled SN or Serial Number is most likely a Device ID, because... Roku.

If the device is still linked to your Roku account you can also see the serial number under your linked devices at https://my.roku.com .

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Jimndebf
Reel Rookie

No - I can’t get to the device settings - it is completely dead except for the little power indicator light on the front.

As stated in the original post: I am trying to return it - but to do so I have to link it to my account. To link it to my account I need to enter the serial # . The serial # listed on original box and the device itself is not valid.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @Jimndebf

Thanks for reaching out. 

The information you provided S02C213XT77K is the Device ID of your Roku device. To help you further, here is the serial number of your Roku device: X01000FXT77K. Please try again to process the return request using this information. 

Are you able to complete the request? Keep us posted on how it goes. 

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Jimndebf
Reel Rookie

Thank you RokuNimfa-C… Yes - that did work ! I was able to successfully submit the return request.

However, it would be useful if the number I found on the box (and device) didn’t start with the letters “sn” as this leads people to believe that it stands for “serial number” not “Device ID”.

Additionally - the serial number should be listed on the box or device (or both) - especially when a device (like mine) dies and I couldn’t get to the settings to find it.

Again… Thank You !

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

What would be nice is if some incompetent fool at Roku didn't decide two unique numbers were necessary for every device. Smiley Happy

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.