Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wolfdog35
Channel Surfer

Restaurant with multiple Rokus Issues

Have a Restaurant that has 12 Roku Express to live stream Hulu TV. There are two Ubiquiti WiFi Access points and WiFi speed is over 300. I dont have a WiFi strength or speed issue. Wondering if the Roku express could be problem or maybe the router. The router is a TPlink but this model wont do fixed IP. The problem is the Roku express keep going to home screen randomly. I have turned off the no activity button. Anyone else run into this issue? I was just wondering if the Roku needs swapped to a better model. 

0 Kudos
31 REPLIES 31
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Re: Restaurant with multiple Rokus Issues

If you have the base model Roku Express it only works on the 2.4GHz network. The Roku Express 4 and 4K are dual band. The Stick is even better. In order for your Express right now to work properly you need to set your modem/ router up as such

The initial troubleshooting step is to verify that [ b/g/n ] Wireless Mode or Protocol is Enabled in your gateway's (router) wireless settings under the 2.4 ghz band.

0 Kudos
Wolfdog35
Channel Surfer

Just curious on how the stick would be better?  I understand why the 4 & 4K with dual bands. The owner has several and will likely do streaming at the others if this works out. The system is being controlled through Control4. Would the Roku stick operate the same? I am assuming they would since it will be IP.  

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

The Stick has a WiFi extender (long range) built in. They are also smaller which means they can be hidden. Try reconfiguring your router to match those settings. Which model Roku Express are they? Also are you talking about Hulu or Hulu with Live TV? Streaming with live tv takes more bandwidth. Exactly what is the issue? Buffering?

0 Kudos
Wolfdog35
Channel Surfer

Its a blue box that just says Roku Express HD  SKU# 3930R

0 Kudos
Wolfdog35
Channel Surfer

Hulu Live TV. When all 12 are streaming the WiFi speed is still over 200mbs. I have a signal strength of -43rssi  

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Blue? Roku's aren't blue. Some olders ones maybe purple but all newer ones are black. Are all 12 the same? Look on the Roku itself for the model number. Not sku. You can also go to System/ settings/ about and you will see the model number. Speed of your WiFi is not what is so important as the speed of the Roku. Go to System/ network and run a check connection. What does it say for speed and signal strength. 

0 Kudos
Wolfdog35
Channel Surfer

The box is Blue

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

Roku's are not blue. Which Roku model are you using? You can also go to System/ settings/ about and you will see the model number. Speed of your WiFi is not what is so important as the speed of the Roku. Go to System/ network and run a check connection. What does it say for speed and signal strength. Upload a picture please of the Roku

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

There are the most current Roku's. None of them are blue.

https://www.roku.com/products/players

0 Kudos