Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
droidmogul
Level 7

Resets after one hour pause

I use my Roku Ultra to watch youtube TV.  When I pause a show it works fine unless an hour passes in which case it leaves the show and goes back to the main screen.  Is there any way I can change this behavior?
Thanks.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

Re: Resets after one hour pause

"droidmogul" wrote:
I use my Roku Ultra to watch youtube TV.  When I pause a show it works fine unless an hour passes in which case it leaves the show and goes back to the main screen.  Is there any way I can change this behavior?
Thanks.

I do not know for sure if what you are seeing is because of something Roku does or something YouTube does but I have heard from some developers that Roku now requires that apps exit, paused or not, after a period of time, (one hour ?) Apps that do not do that are no longer being approved and cannot be pushed through the app store to Rokus. I also think they are enforcing that on apps loaded via a special code ie. "Private apps."
Regardless of who is forcing apps to exit even if users do not want it the practice is totally wrong headed and shows that Roku has become little more than money grubbers. I have greatly reduced my Roku usage in favor of other boxes because of this but all the other boxes I have used seem to have similar features and some are even worse.
Roku used to be the best box out but they have become just one of the "boxes" and they are rapidly sinking down the levels to become one of the boxes living in the cesspool of user unfriendly boxes that permeates the world of the consumer media boxes.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

"droidmogul" wrote:
Thanks.

If YT engineers feel the same way I do about 'Pausers' (on my Plex Server), they'd be booting off a paused client a LOT sooner than an hour. My rage factor kicks in after about 5 minutes. Continued and extended Pause activity results in removal of server privileges until 'The Lesson Is Learned'. Call me grouchy (lol). Anywho, it's hard to say who is initiating 'The Boot', but it's a great idea - unless the bonehead (YT) developers can't develop a way to start something where you left off and in that case they deserve everything they get.

Regarding the mandated Roku kick to home after an hour of inactivity and the requirement of apps to adhere to this policy, that must be why the new Plex UNO (read: ONO!) public launch (the app that won't go home after an hour), meant to replace the old Plex app (the one that will go home after an hour), today, June 3, has been delayed. I was sure I was going to be entertained by "Dumpster Fire - Book 2" on the Plex Forum today when all those guys that never show up until something blows up, show up, mad, again.

I guess that fun will have to wait until UNO can go home after an hour... if that is indeed what's holding up the "ONO!" launch.

Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

The problem with it being globally enforced and no way to override is that it kicks in when it is totally inappropriate.

As an example I was using Plex to listen too an audio book and I had no visual display once it was started and I paused it to cook and eat supper and, after supper O found that Plex had exited so I had to fire up a visual interface start Plex again find the audio book again start it play and, because Plex's resume feature for audio is unreliable, potentially seek to where I left of listening to snippets of audio to find that spot. Without the exit I would just have to press play. Audio books are LONG, I have one that the total time is close to 27 hours, and they average something around 14 hours play time so pausing them for extended tome is not unusual at all.

I understand that long pauses could well be a problem for users over the internet but if I am using my Roku to play an audio book I should be able to pause as long as I want and the box I am using should never prevent that. Yes some of the issues I have had could be prevented by even decent ability to play audio books but such a book player does not exist and Roku should not be ruining the experience.

Because of Roku's, Plex's and Emby's stupidity I have to keep a computer running MediaMonky just so I can I can have a decent audio book experience.

BTW: Before Roku implemented the forced exit stupidity I used Plex on a Roku for audio books and had a pretty good experience. The Roku was always on and was playing a book or was paused. It was connected to my whole house audion system and I had the ability to control it via several remotes, Android tablets and Echo devices around the house. Under Plex you can simply rename mp3 files to mp4 and they will play just fine on the Roku. That gives yo full resume FF and RW. But the enforced exit now forces me to start a TV and renavigate to the book and restart it every time I had a even somewhat lengthy pause. It is just stupid of Roku to enforce such a burden.
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
0 Kudos
droidmogul
Level 7

Hmm.  Can't seem to figure out how to reply to the individual respondents to my question.  Anyway . . .

When watching youtubeTV on my PC I can pause it for any amount of time.  Days if I want.  It works just like a DVR which is the goal.  So, this one hour reset problem is due to the Roku, not youtubeTV.  One person in another forum said that this is a power saving "feature" of Roku and that I can change the behavior in Settings but I couldn't find such a setting.

Being able to pause for more than one hour is certainly a desired feature as youtubeTV itself works this way.  They advertise it as a DVR in the Cloud so it should work that way with Roku too.
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

"Elijah_Baley" wrote:
The problem with it being globally enforced and no way to override is that it kicks in when it is totally inappropriate.

As an example I was using Plex to listen too an audio book and I had no visual display once it was started and I paused it to cook and eat supper and, after supper O found that Plex had exited so I had to fire up a visual interface start Plex again find the audio book again start it play and, because Plex's resume feature for audio is unreliable, potentially seek to where I left of listening to snippets of audio to find that spot. Without the exit I would just have to press play. Audio books are LONG, I have one that the total time is close to 27 hours, and they average something around 14 hours play time so pausing them for extended tome is not unusual at all.

Well, I'd have to say that's primarily a Plex Issue, 'cause when I'm playing music, there is nothing present except the screensaver, but the music continues and it doesn't get injected into orbit around The Roku Death Star... so... yea... get Plex to fix that and you could probably handle the boot-to-home-after-inactivity thing. I'm usually asleep when that happens, so it's not a big deal... to me. In fact, I'd love it if the interval could be adjusted (and I expect you would too). Say 15 minutes, for me, would mean I am no longer awake. You, might set yours to 'Never', if that setting should ever materialize (but I doubt it).

I think the OP's problem is the Roku-Phone-Home routine after a time of inactivity and on that issue - good luck. Personally I'd complain about something else easier to get fixed. Roku has made it pretty clear that ain't gonna change any time soon.
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

"DubTaylor" wrote:
"Elijah_Baley" wrote:

Well, I'd have to say that's primarily a Plex Issue, 'cause when I'm playing music, there is nothing present except the screensaver, but the music continues and it doesn't get injected into orbit around The Roku Death Star... so... yea... get Plex to fix that and you could probably handle the boot-to-home-after-inactivity thing. I'm usually asleep when that happens, so it's not a big deal... to me. In fact, I'd love it if the interval could be adjusted (and I expect you would too). Say 15 minutes, for me, would mean I am no longer awake. You, might set yours to 'Never', if that setting should ever materialize (but I doubt it).

I think the OP's problem is the Roku-Phone-Home routine after a time of inactivity and on that issue - good luck. Personally I'd complain about something else easier to get fixed. Roku has made it pretty clear that ain't gonna change any time soon.

The problem occurs NOT when my books are playing but when they are paused for long periods. Plex and Emby have both told me that the are required to exit to Roku's home screen after a long period of being paused. That makes it a Roku issue but I have no doubt that Roku does not care and the behavior is exactly what they want.
I have given up on using Roku or Shield TV or Fire TV for my audio books but MediaMonkey on a computer is an acceptable, if a little clumsy, substitute.
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

Well, you can use the Plex ONO app without worry of it EVER going back home. ONO is Live. It won't go back home automatically after a period of inactivity.
I'm not sure what the app approval process actually does, but it sure doesn't test any apps for compliance before approval.
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

... and just as a "BTW":

If you want to prevent your Roku from updating anything just fire up the Plex "ONO" App. I just spent 3 days in the app - with at least 18 inactive hours a day - had to manually exit the app and invoke a manual update, at which time the latest version of the Roku Firmware was installed.

Something tells me the Plex App is OUT of compliance.
0 Kudos