Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jborton313

Reset after paused for more than a few minutes

This is a new issue I've begun experiencing just in the past few weeks:  If I pause any program using any app (YouTubeTV, Netflix, Amazon, etc.) and don't press play within about 3 or 4 minutes, Roku seems to reset.  The reset isn't evident on the screen until I press play.  Then I have to start back from the Roku home screen.  This happens whether I'm watching YouTube TV live or a recorded program.  When it happens on a recorded problem, it's a nuisance, but not nearly as frustrating as if I'm watching live programming and the program ends before I can return to it because at that point the end of the show is lost.  Is there a setting or something else I can try to fix this?  I understand why it might happen after 30 or 60 minutes, but it happens in literally less than 5 minutes.

27 REPLIES 27
MacRtst

Re: Reset after paused for more than a few minutes

I am also having this problem. I thought it was a bad screen saver, so I switched to Roku’s own. Still have issues. Also, just started downloading channels I didn’t want when I hit play from The screen saver. I’m assuming it’s because it’s an advert from the home screen. It’s getting frustrating.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Use the Home button or pretty much anything other than OK to exit the Roku screensaver with ads.  Have you guys tried disabling the screensaver altogether to see what happens?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
jamborine

Is this still happening for you? This just started happening for me as well. Sometimes I've noticed when I hit the play/pause button again, it resets; however, when I hit the back button, it automatically starts playing instead of just returning me to the paused screen without the screensaver. Have you noticed that as well? I'm thinking some update went bad.

Ossenke
Channel Surfer

This is also happening to me. So far just once, but I immediately googled and ended up here.

We use youtube tv and if I pause live tv for a few minutes, the Roku turns the TV off and reboots. The screensaver is turned off, so it's not that. It seemed to happen on a break between shows. Perhaps that might be related? A broadcast transition effect a stream triggering a reboot? It needs to be fixed.

I am testing it now to see if it happens again.

0 Kudos
Caesius
Reel Rookie

I recently purchased the Streaming Stick+ because I was having this issue with an older 2016 Roku device. I'm still having an issue on the new device. Which leads me to believe it is likely a software issue.

As per suggestions in the community, I have unplugged the device, I have also completed a system restart, but the issue remains. 

I have yet to try the suggestions above about using different ways to exit the screensaver. I will return if I find a solution.

[ UNRELATED: I really couldn't afford the new Roku device. And it turns out I lost a headphone jack in the process. I wasn't aware that there was a version of the stream stick+ that DIDN'T include a headphone jack, and I'd have to pay an even higher price for the headphone jack. I was already paying more than I can afford for this "upgrade." Oh, and I keep pressing the "talk" button because it is in a dumb place, IMO. ]

0 Kudos
Caesius
Reel Rookie

@renojim wrote:

Use the Home button or pretty much anything other than OK to exit the Roku screensaver with ads.  

I have been trying the method where I hit the left arrow button instead of 'ok' or 'play.' And it so far has taken me back to where I paused.

Now, to be clear, my issue is that I have not just been kicked out. It only happens when I pause and the screensaver comes on. And when I hit 'ok' or 'play' I'm kicked out and taken back to the channel menu. Now I hit the left Arrow key, and I'm returned to where I paused… as it should be.

Cl12345
Reel Rookie

I have this same issue.  Has anyone offered any solutions?

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

0 Kudos
David77
Reel Rookie

I have a Roku Express which I watch Sling on. If I am watching Sling I can switch to over the air stations by touching my TV remote control channel up button. If I watch over the air for less than about 5 minutes I can hit HDMI on the remote and I go back to what I was watching on Sling. If it is more than 5 minutes I get the ROKU home page and have to start Sling again.

How can I just toggle back and forth if I want to watch over the air for move than a few minutes without having to restart Sling?

David Gurock