Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Falmer5
Reel Rookie

Repetitive HDCP Error 20

Before any moderator jumps in to tell me to follow their guide on HDCP errors: I follow this guide every time I get one of these errors. It sometime solves the issue but most of the time it doesn't.

I get an HDCP error EVERY DAY at the moment. It used to be more rare, it got worst. It even happens when I connect on my Plex server (not protected content).

Setup:

-Roku Ultra (tried both display type 1080p and automatic)

-HDMI 2.0 cable

-SPDI splitter

-HDMI 2.0 cable

-BenQ W1090 projector

Errors were already happening with different cables when the Roku was connected directly to the projector, though not as frequently.

Please suggest something that isn't the dumb roku guide on HDCP errors.

Labels (1)
18 REPLIES 18
erodam
Reel Rookie

Re: Repetitive HDCP Error 20

I just returned my just purchased Roku Ultra specifically due to repeated and sporadic HDCP errors.

I followed all the instructions to the letter several times and still the error. If I rebooted it would work but still a possibility it  would occur again...random.

My TV is a Sony950G and AVR, Ultra connected to AVR, Marantz SR5014 so all good with HDCP compatibility.

Bought an Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K and Dolby Vision works without a single HDCP error and for much less money.

I prefer the GUI of Roku...it is more elegant...but I prefer a device that works more...no more side eye from wife is a good thing.

I also have a Roku Streaming Stick+ which works perfectly and honestly prefer over the Amazon device but I do enjoy Dolby Vision.

mike_s
Roku Guru

This is a problem with the 2020 Ultra.

I've had a Premier+ for a few years. Works fine, never a HDCP error. Just got a 2020 Ultra, swapped it in place of the Premier+, absolutely no other changes. Now I get HDCP errors several times per hour. The message comes up, but program audio continues, and after a few seconds the video returns (until the next time).

Roku - fix it. It's you, not me.

rfk292008

This HDCP Error is on Roku to correct the reoccurring problem.

I have 1 Roku working on my 9 year old Samsung 4K smart tv

1 phillips smart tv 1 yr old. The Roku worked great on first tv reason Samsung reason for second purchase.

HDCP error started around the same time both tv’s.

no setting changes to either tv

the cause and fix needs to come from Roku. I can not recommend this product to anyone unless Roku fixes HDCP

Error 020

Richard Kraft

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

You didnt mention your Roku model #s or firmware version:  Settings/System/About

Try:

1)  Manually configure display:  Settings/Display type/4K (or 4K HDR/DV) TV

2)  Enable/disable framerate matching:  Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Advanced display settings/Auto-adjust display refresh rate=enable/disable

3) Change HDR subsampling:  Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Advanced display settings/HDR subsampling=4:2:0, 4:2:2

4) Make sure your Samsung TV's (models unknown) firmware is up to date.

0 Kudos
JWT
Channel Surfer

I receive the HDCP 020 error on my Ultra 2021 model when viewing videos with Dolby Vision.  I have gone through all the fix recommendations from Roku and other online sources.  I disconnected all power and HDMI cables, changed Roku settings, and it worked for one video on Netflix.  The next day, the 020 error is back.  The last Roku Ultra 2021 update was on 12/10/21.  I ordered Zeskit Lite 2.1 48 gbps cables and will try them.  

I have the Roku set to passthrough on my updated HDCP 2.2 compliant Denon AVR, to a Sony 2020 model A8H via EARC.

JWT
Channel Surfer

Re: Repetitive HDCP Error 20 (update)

I'm pretty sure my issue is a bad Roku Ultra 2021.  I turned on my tv, AVR, and Roku Ultra, and attempted to watch a video.  The video started and played for about 5 seconds, and then the tv screen went black, and the Sony "Bravia" script displayed in bottom right hand corner, while audio continued to play.  I pressed the Roku remote pause button and audio continued to play.  Then I pressed the Home button, and audio continued to play.  I pressed the Display button on my Sony remote, and the screen returned to the Roku menu page.  I attempted to watch the Roku device a second time, and received the same results.  I am currently using the provided Roku HDMI cable, and a Zeskit Cinema Plus cable rated at 22.82 gbps.  I turned on my Dish box and selected the CBL button on my Denon remote.  I had uninterrupted audio/video for at least 10 minutes before shutting the tv off.  The Dish box works, the Sony tv works, the Denon receiver works, but now the Roku does not play video.  I have tried 4 HDMI cables, rated at 18 gbps and 22.82 gbps.  All updates are current.  

I processed an exchange with the retailer.  I should have a new Roku in hand before Christmas.

The Roku Ultra 2021 is unprepossessing!

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@JWT

Thanks for the post.

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried connecting your Roku device directly to your TV to see if you are experiencing the same issue occur?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JWT
Channel Surfer

I installed two new Zeskit Lite Certified Ultra High Speed 48 gbps HDMI cables.  One, from Roku Ultra 2021 to Denon AVR, and one from Denon AVR to Sony A8H 65" TV.  I watched one 1.25 hour Netflix comedy special in Dolby Vision, and two 50 minute Netflix series videos in Dolby Vision.  I received zero HDCP 020 error messages.  The remote continues to act flakey, and doesn't follow input commands 100% of the time.  I don't know if it is a bad remote, or a bad Roku Ultra 2021?  I am going to keep an eye on this issue!

The HDCP 020 error appears to be fixed.  I am thinking the issue was coming from the supplied HDMI cable from Roku.  Reason?  The previous HDMI cable I used was rated for Dolby Vision.  Also, other owners have mentioned fixing the error with 48 gbps HDMI cables.  Roku should consider upgrading to Dolby Vision rated HDMI cables, or drop Roku device prices $10 to $15, and recommend customers purchase a Certified Ultra High Speed 48 gbps cable shorter than 6 feet.

0 Kudos
Odokawa

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

For troubleshooting purposes, have you tried connecting your Roku device directly to your TV

My new Roku stick is plugged directly into the TV and also produces this false positive error almost every day. The instruction to power-cycle things usually doesn't work.

The one thing I have found to reliably clear the error is to navigate down the "System" menu to perform a Roku system restart.