Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jpaskell
Level 7

Reduced power notice

I have a ROKU Express installed about 2 months ago.  Recently, when turning on my TV I get a notice stating that my ROKU is suffering "reduced power" and I should not use my TV USB to power my ROKU. 
My TV does not have a USB port and is plugged into a wall outlet.  Still I continue to get this message and unplug the ROKU power from the ROKU and plug it back in and all is fine.
I am using the power cable and HDMI cable supplied with my ROKU. 
Anyone have any hints what may be happening, short of a return to Walmart for a new ROKU? 
Thanks,
Jim
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: Reduced power notice

"jpaskell" wrote:
I have a ROKU Express installed about 2 months ago.  Recently, when turning on my TV I get a notice stating that my ROKU is suffering "reduced power" and I should not use my TV USB to power my ROKU. 
My TV does not have a USB port and is plugged into a wall outlet.  Still I continue to get this message and unplug the ROKU power from the ROKU and plug it back in and all is fine.
I am using the power cable and HDMI cable supplied with my ROKU. 
Anyone have any hints what may be happening, short of a return to Walmart for a new ROKU? 
Thanks,
Jim

Either the power supply is defective, or there's a wiring issue with that outlet. Probably the power supply. I'd suggest exchanging it.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there! 

Sorry to hear about the issue you're running into! There are a couple options to try here:

1. Try using a different micro-USB cable and/or wall power supply with your device to see if this clears up the message.

2. If you'd like to chat with a member of our Support team to discuss this further, feel free to PM me with your Roku account email address and I'll have them reach out via email. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

jpaskell: If you have a compatible micro-USB cord or compatible power supply, then great, try that first, as Tanner suggested. But, if not, then the exchange is something I'd recommend before shelling out more cash for other hardware to test against the hardware Roku included.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
jpaskell
Level 7

Thanks all for the help.  I'll try different cables and see if that clears it up.  If not,  got my handy dandy receipt and next trip to Walmart will fix it.
Thanks again,

Jim
0 Kudos