Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Recurring ‘overcurrent’ issue

I’ve had the Roku express since January (so around 3 months) and in the last week or so an issue has occurred countless times. Randomly whilst watching something on the roku, the tv screen will go black and an issue box pops up from the tv (not the roku) saying there’s an ‘overcurrent problem with a USB’ and to unplug the usb and turn the tv off from the mains. This does not always happen - sometimes the screen goes black, I see/hear the (very annoying) roku loading page with the bouncing roku, and then it takes me back to the roku homepage. And does it again 10 minutes later. This seems to happen mostly using amazon prime, if that makes any difference.  

I know an overcurrent issue likely means there’s too much power to the roku, and I know there is no off switch to any roku devices, but it is powered by the tv and so I thought that means when the tv is off, so is the roku. I know overheating/overpowering is an issue with older models that was supposed to be solved by powering from the tv. 

ive tried to contact roku support but it’s really unhelpful, telling me I cannot even email them because they only do online support for my device which is obviously not available due to corona. 

im going to start manually unplugging it from the tv when we’re not using it and seeing if that helps, but does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? Losing my mind - lots of free time stuck at home recently (as are most of us) and not being able to spend that time binge watching criminal minds is extremely frustrating! 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: Recurring ‘overcurrent’ issue

First thing I would do is remove the USB connection from the tv and instead power your Roku with the power adaptor that came with it, plugged into your household mains. The Roku power adaptor should be rated correctly for your Roku, the television's likely is not.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks for your suggestion! The USB power adapter we’re using came with the roku, that’s the strange thing. I may have a go at using an alternative power adapter though, plugged into the mains - thanks Smiley Happy 

although funny thing is, I tested it out earlier on Disney+, and now I think it’s an issue somehow related to amazon prime.. even more confused now

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

@Kikishepps wrote:

although funny thing is, I tested it out earlier on Disney+, and now I think it’s an issue somehow related to amazon prime.. even more confused now

Here in the States we've seen a lot of complaints for an overheating issue apparently caused by a CBS Sports channel app, with one particular Roku model (don't recall which one) so it appears some things CAN be channel related.  It seems to affect some but not others.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos