Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Recurrent HDCP error--I have stick, do not have cables

Jump to solution

Suddenly I'm getting recurrent HDCP errors; sometimes every few hours.  I do not have cables to try.  I just have the stick that plugs into the back of the TV.  When I unplug the stick, it feels warm, should it?  Also, the volume on the remote does not work even after unplugging the stick and plugging it back in.  I don't really want to buy a new Roku as this one is only about two years old.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Recurrent HDCP error--I have stick, do not have cables

Jump to solution

@Shortpara 

Thanks for the post.

For troubleshooting steps regarding HDCP errors, visit our Support page here: What should I do if I see a “HDCP Error Detected” message or a purple screen?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

Look at the HDMI connections on both the Roku and the TV. See if there's any dust or other contamination in there. It doesn't take much to mess with the HDCP lock. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@Shortpara 

Thanks for the post.

For troubleshooting steps regarding HDCP errors, visit our Support page here: What should I do if I see a “HDCP Error Detected” message or a purple screen?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

This doesn't fix the problem; it's just a workaround. Since the software update, I get the HDCP ERROR every time I turn on my Roku. Everytime, I have to unplug and reconnect the HDMI cable to get it to work. If you have to disconnect/reconnect a device to use it, it's technically broken.  It's been 9 months now without a permanent solution. It's time to this out the Roku for something that works.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

@SGTDave wrote:

This doesn't fix the problem; it's just a workaround. Since the software update, I get the HDCP ERROR every time I turn on my Roku. Everytime, I have to unplug and reconnect the HDMI cable to get it to work. If you have to disconnect/reconnect a device to use it, it's technically broken.  It's been 9 months now without a permanent solution. It's time to this out the Roku for something that works.

If you're unplugging a cable, then your issue isn't the same as this thread, as that was in reference to a Roku Stick, and not using a cable.

First, what model Roku do you have? What make/model TV is it connected to? Have you looked at both the cable ends and the HDMI ports in the Roku and TV to ensure there's no dust or debris in there? Have you tried a different HDMI cable?

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos