Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattmack
Level 7

Ready to throw my Roku Ultra off a cliff

Hi,

I have multiple rokus in my household, but for some reason Roku devices connected to the Samsung 4k TV in my bedroom don’t like each other.

I started with a Roku 4k Stick because there is no hardwired connection in my bedroom. For whatever reason, my tv would turn on randomly day and night. I tried the trick to go to settings, control other devices, uncheck “1-touch play”. This did not work. I also tried turning off the Samsung setting of Anynet+. This did work, but disabled the ability to control my tv volume and power with the roku remote. One of my main reasons for using Roku is “one device to control them all” apps, power, volume, etc.

I then buy a Roku Ultra 4k box, thinking the stick may have been the problem. I was wrong. I had the same problem with the box.

I then think I’ve outsmarted the system by plugging everything into a smart plug I can turn on and off with my phone, or alexa. At first it works, I’m a genius. Only to be utterly disappointed when a few days in I turn everything on and Roku will no longer connect to the internet, and I have a flashing white light on the front of the box. I’ve tried power cycling the box, and it doesn’t work. My Roku no longer connects to the internet.

I have multiple roku devices in my house, the bedroom ones are the only ones giving me problems. I have another Samsung 4k tv in a spare bedroom, no issues. Another one in the living room with an LG OLED 4k tv, no issues. I’m a couple hundred bucks and several hours of being pissed off into my bedroom set up and I’m ready to throw it in the river down the street. Although this is my first instinct, I’d rather ask this board for any ideas.

Help?

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
4 Replies
renojim
Level 21

Re: Ready to throw my Roku Ultra off a cliff

My first suggestion would be to get a 50' long Ethernet cable.  Ok, you probably don't want to do that.  There have been people here in the past that swear by Powerline Network Adapters. I've always been dubious myself.

You say it no longer connects. Have you tried a network reset from Settings->System->Advanced system settings->Network connection reset?

One thing I've always believed in when it comes to Roku and WiFi is to lock down as much as you can.  If your router's WiFi channel is set to "Auto", pick a channel and stick with it until you find a reason to change it.  Use one of the WiFi Analyzer apps to find the least crowded channel.  Also, set up a DHCP reservation by its MAC address so that its IP address never changes.

Good luck!

-JT

mattmack
Level 7

I appreciate the input. I tried resetting my network connection, it did not work. I’d also rather not buy another piece of hardware to get my roku wifi to connect. I want the roku device to do what I paid $100 for it to do.

Matt

0 Kudos
mattmack
Level 7

I just tried factory resetting the device, and it still will not connect to wifi. It’s not the wifi. Very disappointed.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@mattmack 

Thanks for the note.

Have you tried connecting your device to another TV in your house to see if the device can connect to the internet elsewhere from the bedroom?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos