Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lubana
Streaming Star

ROKU suddenly too big for tv screen

As of today the Roku display is too large for my tv screen.  Everything was fine last evening.  Now I can't read what's on the home menu properly and when I hit settings, that menu gets cut off on the left.  The channels are suffering from this, as well, as the  captions and subs are cut off at the bottom.  Is anyone else experiencing this?   

36 REPLIES 36
Lubana
Streaming Star

Re: ROKU suddenly too big for tv screen

In other words, everything is zoomed in to the point where navigation of Roku is nearly impossible.  Please help!

Am8
Reel Rookie

Having the same issue.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Neither of you mentioned your model #s or firmware versions:  Settings/System/About

1) Connecting with composite (RCA):   Try restarting your Roku:  Settings/System/System restart/Restart  (or pull the power cable out for at least 30 seconds)

2) Connecting via HDMI:  Restart your Roku & check for a Zoom button on your TV's remote and press it (until the picture fits), or otherwise enable "Just Scan" in your HDMI input settings.

Lubana
Streaming Star

Thanks for your response.  My device is Roku Express 3930X.  I have tried pilling the plug on everything.  Made no difference.  I will try your other suggestions and return if anything changes.

0 Kudos
Lubana
Streaming Star

I restarted Roku as was suggeted.  There is no "zoom button" on my TV remote, just a buttom called "pix shape", which even my TV troubleshooting menu suggested I hit when the picture size did nor look right.  When I pressed that, nothing at all happened.  I realize I ,may not have understood all your suggestions,

0 Kudos
Lubana
Streaming Star

Where is the Roku technical support?  Why do you send upgrades?  Every time you do more issues arise.  This is not a problem with my TV, which does not even have a way to change the size of the screen display.  This is some glitch with Roku.  Do you realize that, by having that zoomed-in display, you have alienated every customer with diminished hearing because now the captions and subtitles no longer fit on the screen, are cut off?   I think more people would complain about this but they don't know how to navigate to this page, aren't computer savvy at an older age.  On YouTube, one can't even use the search menu now because it no longer appears on the screen, also having been cut off.  Even Roku's own "settings" menu is cut off at the left of the screen except for the last couple of letters and one has to guess what they are.  When one clicks on any one of the words, the options that come with them appear correctly to the right--to no avail because I looked at all the options and none supplied a fix.  There is no fix, just as there wasn't one to that error message we were all complaining about a few months ago and which I still get under one circumstance--when switching between the DVD player and Roku.  Of course I know that I have to switch to HDMI and I do--but the error still pops up.  I have to turn off the TV and start over to make it disappear.  

StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@Lubana

Try:

1) Using a different HDMI cable

2) Using a different HDMI port on your TV

3) Using a different TV

I have not seen a HDTV that doesnt have image size controls.

What is the brand/model name/model # of your TV?

0 Kudos
Lubana
Streaming Star

You are giving the same fix that didn't work on that troublesome error message that suddenly appeared some months ago.  It's not my TV.  Everything was working right until evening one day and the next morning nothing worked okay.  Typical Roku problem pattern.  Trust me, my Sanyo TV has no way to change the display size.  I went through the entire trouble-shooting menu.  I am not getting a different TV.  What I am getting is another streaming device if this isn't fixed soon.  Since I can't hear as well as I used to, my TV is now useless unless I play a DVD.  That works because it has no dependency on Roku.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Lubana, what is the model number of your Sanyo TV?  Try playing with that "pix size" button again.  It should do something.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos