Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NickBuol
Level 8

Re: ROKU screen flickering all of a sudden

Jump to solution

@RokuTannerD Yes to all of the above.  Tried HDMI1 and HDMI2 ports.  Was using the original HDMI cable that came with the Roku Express, and then grabbed one from a brand new (2018 model) Express Plus since we weren't using that one for HDMI, and I just tried a 3rd party more expensive and known good HDMI cable.  None of them worked in any combination.

The TV is an older Vizio (2009 model) VA26LHDTV10T  720P only.  My error there.  Thought it was 1080P.  Not sure why the Roku auto selected 1080p or if it was sending a 1080p signal.  

Even so, it still does this when the Roku is set to 720P

More details about the Roku itself.  

Model - 3930X - Roku Express

Software Version - 9.1.1 Build 4196-AE

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Thanks for the extra details. For testing and comparison, try plugging the device into a different make/model of TV. Do you experience the same issue? Feel free to shoot me a private message with your Roku account email address, and the serial number of your Roku device. I'll help take a closer look. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
NickBuol
Level 8

Jump to solution

@RokuTannerD 

UPDATE:  It is doing it again.  My wife went to use the TV tonight and it started doing it again.  It has been a long day, so I will do more experimenting tomorrow and see if my 3rd party HDMI cable will reach a different TV that I can put in the room temporarily (the TV that we've been using is wall mounted and the Roku is stuck to the bottom of it with the adhesive tape).  I tried to PM you earlier, but didn't readily see an option.  Maybe it is there.  Maybe I need to have more posts...  I'm going to bed, but will see what I can do tomorrow.

Original Response:

Since I have the new Roku Express "stuck" to my TV using the included double sided foam tape, I opted to try something different in the meantime.  I unboxed another Roku Express and connected it up to the same power and same HDMI connection as before.  I ran through the full setup, but when the Roku "autodetected" 1080p on my 720p TV, I manually changed it to 720p right away.  Not saying that did anything at all, but it was working.  So I was thinking that the original is a bad unit, but plugged it back in to the same power and HDMI again and it is displaying fine.  No on/off problem.

I am not confident that the problem won't return since I don't think that anything I did actually hanged any settings from before and I had already tried different cables, and it was power cycled a couple of times, once before and once after the factory reset earlier today.

Not sure both autodetect 1080p when this old TV can't do 1080p, but I am wondering if there is an issue there.

We are replacing our satellite TV with paid streaming services and have used an older Roku for years for some basic stuff (mainly accessing my own media server), and knew that Roku was compatible with pretty much all of the major streaming services (at least the ones we care about).   he final decision was when we happened to pick up a new 4K TV that had a Roku built in, so we took that as a cue to start getting Rokus for all of our other TVs, thus the reason for buying 2 Expresses and an Express Plus to go with the one built in to the TV.  We really want the same experience throughout the house, so hopefully the product is reliable with this older TV.  As much as my wife would love it, I don't feel like upgrading her from this 26" TV to something like the 47" that the new 4K TV replaced to have in our bedroom.  We don't need that in our lives. LOL 

I will stop back with a status update right away if there are issues, or after a week or so if things are working fine.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@NickBuol 

I took a closer look at the specs for your TV and it is only capable of 720p (progressive scan), however, it appears to support 1080i (interlace). It's possible that somehow the TVs internal reporting of it's capabilities may be causing some confusion for your Roku device. I'll pass your report along to my team to take a closer look, and follow up with you via private message for any additional details that we may need. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Scott_C
Level 9

Jump to solution

My Roku Ultra 4660X just updated itself yesterday to 9.2.0 4131-46. It is now flickering to black and coming back on various screens and channels. Not even usable at this point. I tried turning off Auto and setting the Resolution to 1080p and Audio PCM, but that didn't fix it. Everything seemed to be working just fine before this latest update.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

Jump to solution

@Scott_C wrote:

My Roku Ultra 4660X just updated itself yesterday to 9.2.0 4131-46. It is now flickering to black and coming back on various screens and channels. Not even usable at this point. I tried turning off Auto and setting the Resolution to 1080p and Audio PCM, but that didn't fix it. Everything seemed to be working just fine before this latest update.

Check to see if framerate matching is enabled, and if so turn it off. I haven't had screen flickering, but did have choppy playback when it is enabled. Might be a similar issue.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Scott_C
Level 9

Jump to solution

Dan,
I only have the following two menu options under...
Advanced display settings
- Auto-adjust display rate (Disabled)
- HDR subsampling (4:2:0)

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

Jump to solution

@Scott_C wrote:

Dan,
I only have the following two menu options under...
Advanced display settings
- Auto-adjust display rate (Disabled)
- HDR subsampling (4:2:0)

That was it, display rate. It's already disabled, so that's not likely it. You could try changing the HDR subsampling, because why not? Won't hurt anything. Smiley Very Happy

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@Scott_C Thanks for letting us know. A few more questions here: 

- What specific make/model of TV is your Roku device connected to?

- Are you using an A/V receiver or soundbar? 

- Have you tried re-seating the HDMI cable in the HDMI port, or connecting your device to a different HDMI port to see if that clears up the issue? 

- When exactly does this issue occur? On the home screen, when you are launching a streaming channel, during playback of content?

- If when launching a channel, or playing content in a channel, which channel and content title is affected?

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Scott_C
Level 9

Jump to solution

@RokuTannerD wrote:

@Scott_C Thanks for letting us know. A few more questions here: 

- What specific make/model of TV is your Roku device connected to?

- Are you using an A/V receiver or soundbar? 

- Have you tried re-seating the HDMI cable in the HDMI port, or connecting your device to a different HDMI port to see if that clears up the issue? 

- When exactly does this issue occur? On the home screen, when you are launching a streaming channel, during playback of content?

- If when launching a channel, or playing content in a channel, which channel and content title is affected?

Thanks,

Tanner

Hi Tanner,

Everything was working fine until the my latest Roku system update on Nov 1...

- Roku Ultra (4660X)
9.2.0 build 4131-46
DID: CK37A6324703

- I'm not using a soundbar.

- Connect to a Vizio SV471XVT, but using an HDMI to Component converter, because none of the HDMI ports work on my TV anymore. All other devices I use with this converter still work fine with my TV, and my Roku Ultra was working fine with this converter too until the 11/1/2019 Roku system update.
HDMI to Component Converter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BBFNHCJ/

- I'm primarily playing Pandora. The channel will keep playing, it's just the video & audio that drop out, so I can't see or hear it anymore. When the signal comes back, the video & audio works again. The channel itself seems to still be progressing just fine in the background during these AV outages. Just sitting at the aquarium screen saver would do this too, so I disabled that.

- I've set the resolution to 1080P. Didn't fix it. I've swapped HDMI cables and that didn't fix it. I even connected an older Roku 3100X to this converter/TV and it works just fine. It's only my updated 4660X that doesn't work now.

Scott

0 Kudos