Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Level 15

Re: ROKU screen flickering all of a sudden

Jump to solution

Check and see if you have two settings in the advanced system settings menu. See if framerate matching is turned on, and try it turned off. Also, if the color space (going from memory, might be labeled something else) is set to 4:2:2, change it to 4:2:0, or vice versa. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
cjstout
Level 7

Jump to solution

color spacing-  that was it.  framerate was already disabled, but changing the color spacing to the other value worked.  Thank you Dan.....I've been trying to correct this issue for two weeks!

0 Kudos
cjstout
Level 7

Jump to solution

btw- now I have to solve a Plex issue!   Too bad their support is lacking a bit......one problem down, another to go!

0 Kudos
Gfamily
Level 7

Jump to solution

Unfortunately I have joined the club of screen flickering on and off suddenly today.  I have read many of the responses by the ROKU team and have tried them all, to no avail.  I have had trouble with my streaming stick + off and on since I first got it.  I believe it to be defective.  How do I go about getting it exchanged for a new one?

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@Gfamily 

A few thoughts here: 

• Have you tried inserting your Streaming Stick+ into a different HDMI port on your TV, or inserting it into a different TV to see if the same issue occurs? 
  • Is the Streaming Stick+ plugged into the included wall power adapter? We recommend using the included power adapter to plug the device directly into a wall outlet. 
  • If you are using a power strip, try removing this and plug the power adapter directly into the wall to see if the same issue occurs. 

Keep us posted with how it goes from there! 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
R-oku-er
Level 7

Jump to solution

Had major flickering, audio gaps and even vertical color bars making it impossible to watch - I read all the solution + Started by going to Roku Setting and Changing it from 1180p?? to 720 pp - Not only did all of the issues disappear, but thin white/clear lines that have been at top of screen forever disappeared.  The Roku is no streaming perfectly - the picture is better than ever.

Note: I have a older Roku- I think Roku 3- which is plugged into to an older toshiba Tube TV - and has been WORKING PERFECTLY with Roku for years - The Roku is plugged into an HMDI adaptor with the wire with yellow, white plugs inserted in the adaptor at one end and the TV at the other.

This set up has been working great with Roku for years - with the change to 720 the picture is better than ever.

I thought this was an odd ball problem that had to do with the adaptor and tube TV - so I never thought I'd find a solution by Googling - but after TWO WEEKS OF SUFFERING - I found your comments - AND IT WAS LITERALLY A 1-MINTUE FIX!  

Thank everyone for taking the time to post!

0 Kudos
rschneirov
Level 7

Jump to solution

My Roku player suddenly shows green horizontal flickering bars when I try to stream in Netflix or Amazon. I've restarted and rebooted the player several times and the problem persists. What do I do?

0 Kudos
cjstout
Level 7

Jump to solution

You need to save yourself some time and make a habit of reviewing what others have found to solve this issue:  Here's a post that solved my flickering issue 3 weeks ago----

Check and see if you have two settings in the advanced system settings menu. See if framerate matching is turned on, and try it turned off. Also, if the color space (going from memory, might be labeled something else) is set to 4:2:2, change it to 4:2:0, or vice versa."

Thank "Dan" for that old post.

0 Kudos
NickBuol
Level 8

Jump to solution

I have a brand new (OK almost 2 week old) 2019 version Roku Express hooked up to a basic 720p capable TV in our bedroom.  It was working fine until suddenly last night it started this dreaded on for 1-2 seconds and then off for 1-2 seconds junk over and over.  The TV and the Roku stay powered on, but the display goes off and on. 

I did a full factory reset of both the Roku and the TV and no luck.  I tried other sources and they are fine, I tried other HDMI ports, and another HDMI cable (both cables tried were the new ones included with the Roku (We actually bought 3 new Rokus.  Two 2019 Express models and one 2018 Express Plus to connect to an older TV in the bathroom without HDMI).  

I don't see any options for color space on the TV or the Roku Express, but then again, it is hard to navigate the menus when they are not displaying off and on.  

One note, on rebooting of the Roku, with the little Roku animation, everything is fine.  It is when it hits the main menu (Home) that this starts.  

Another note.  After the factory reset, it doesn't display this behavior at all until you get the wifi connected.  As soon as you put in the wifi password and it starts trying to connect, it starts the on/off stupidity again.

I've tried 720p, 1080p, and auto and they all do the same.  

Current box on this TV has been kept up to date automatically, but I did check again after the factory reset.

I haven't opened the other Roku Express yet as it is slated for a TV that I just haven't gotten to, 

UPDATE:  I pulled a high quality HDMI cable from a different room and the same thing happens.  

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@NickBuol  Did you try replacing the HDMI cable connecting your Roku Express to your TV, swapping the ends of the HDMI cable, or connecting it to a different HDMI port on the TV? What make and model is the TV that you have the Roku Express connected to? 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos