Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: ROKU screen flickering all of a sudden

Jump to solution
If you are still experiencing this issue, please ensure you have tried changing the HDMI cable you're using, as well as the the HDMI port on your TV to see if this resolves this issue. 

I'd also recommend trying to adjust your settings in Settings>Display type to see if any specific setting helps alleviate the issue you are seeing. 

Please feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address, your device's serial number from Settings>System>About, the make/model of your TV, and additional details about the behavior you are seeing, where/when you see this occur i.e. on the Roku home screen, during content playback, which channel you are watching when this occurs, and specific content you're watching. I'll follow up with you directly to continue assisting you directly. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
berty6294
Level 7

Jump to solution
"RokuTannerD" wrote:
If you are still experiencing this issue, please ensure you have tried changing the HDMI cable you're using, as well as the the HDMI port on your TV to see if this resolves this issue. 

I'd also recommend trying to adjust your settings in Settings>Display type to see if any specific setting helps alleviate the issue you are seeing. 

Please feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address, your device's serial number from Settings>System>About, the make/model of your TV, and additional details about the behavior you are seeing, where/when you see this occur i.e. on the Roku home screen, during content playback, which channel you are watching when this occurs, and specific content you're watching. I'll follow up with you directly to continue assisting you directly. 

Thanks,
Tanner

Tanner I did pm you the issue and all the information you requested, even bought an expensive HDMI cable you said should work. You said your dev team is working on the issue and that you would keep me updated but the last thing I got from you was 6 months ago in January. What's going on?
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution
Apologies for the oversight. I didn't see a follow-up message from you regarding a status update inquiry. When issues are difficult to reproduce, or we aren't able to reproduce the issue you report, it can be difficult to determine further resolution. I apologize that you're continuing to experience the issue here. 

I'll follow up with you directly to see how else we can help in the meantime. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
roybjr
Level 7

Jump to solution
This morning all of a sudden I am experiencing screen flickering.  I was at 1080p.  I did factory reset and still flickering at 1080p and changed to 720p.  Never had this problem before.

I have Roku Express 3900X 9.1.0 build 4111-51 serial YG0050834029
My TV is Westinghouse (smart tv) model WD32FB2530
0 Kudos
LarryB37
Level 7

Jump to solution
We purchased a Roku Ultra within the last 6 months, and 2-3 months ago we started experience flickering that sounds like what others have  described here.  The video flickers and audio cuts out momentarily.  I have narrowed this down to the Roku device through trial and error.

Also, I have more recently noticed that after the Roku player is on and not being used for a day or so, it starts responding slowly, to the point it becomes frustrating to operate.

Restarting the device through the settings menu fixes the response issue, but does not fix the flickering issue.  This behavior would indicate there is a software issue causing the delayed response (something using up the system resources such as memory or processing power), and that the flickering may be related to something else.  Could the player just be overheating and causing the flickering?  The fact that switching to 720p resolution has resolved this issue for others may support this, since it would require less processing power to run at 720p.  Also, I have noticed that after a period of time, the flickering stops, which may also support that the device is overheating.  We do not have our Roku in a cabinet that restricts airflow.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
0 Kudos
Chanmccor22
Level 7

Jump to solution
I have a tcl Roku TV and the TV keeps flashing black every minute. Tkes about 5 before the TV will start it happens with all my HDMI ports and it's frustrating because I first noticed it when playing PS4 but it's not the PS4 I tested the PS4 on a back up monitor and nothing so it's the Roku. The cable I also tested even bought a new one and when used on another monitor nothing so any suggestions
0 Kudos
cjstout
Level 7

Re: ROKU screen flickering all of a sudden- More Info

Jump to solution

Hi Tanner,

On a ROKU Premier--- Having similar issues with screen flickering, but the anomaly only begins once the ROKU tries to stream a 4K source.  Once the ROKU is directed to a 4K source on Netflix or Prime, the flickering begins and continues even when going back to the main ROKU menu.  The only action that stops the flickering is a "system restart" by the ROKU which is difficult to get to while the screen is flickering so badly.

As others have done, I've tried a different HDMI port on the TV, higher quality HDMI cable, a full ROKU reset and have gone through all of the picture controls on both the TV and the ROKU to no avail.

But the sudden flickering while trying to watch a 4K source set the entire mess in motion.  Something in a 4K signal triggers an anomaly in the ROKU software.

Hope that helps.  I also have a TCL ROKU TV and two other ROKU products.  

0 Kudos
Olskoolmaui
Level 7

Jump to solution
My screen is flickering during all operations home screen antenna, on Netflix it’s Was a small flicker now it’s bigger and more consistent screen is jumpy flickering every 3 to 5 seconds. Please help. I tried a full factory reset. Is there anything else I can do?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

Jump to solution

@Olskoolmaui wrote:
My screen is flickering during all operations home screen antenna, on Netflix it’s Was a small flicker now it’s bigger and more consistent screen is jumpy flickering every 3 to 5 seconds. Please help. I tried a full factory reset. Is there anything else I can do?

The Roku admins will need to know what model Roku you have. Depending on the model, it might just be too old and it may need replacement. If it's a newer model, then perhaps something else. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
cjstout
Level 7

Jump to solution

Dan, thank you.  Mine is a Premier.  My other ROKUs are not 4K and since I'm not driving 4K streaming on those devices, no problems.  But my Premier flickers the screen when I attempt to play anything 4K from Netflix or another source.  Once it begins, I have to restart the ROKU and the flickering stops until I select a 4K source again.

0 Kudos