Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Armadillo
Level 7

Re: ROKU screen flickering all of a sudden

Jump to solution
I've got 4 Roku sticks. Beginning tonight, the main one (a Roku Streaming Stick +) now blinks on and off -- on for 1-2 seconds, then off for 1-2 seconds, endlessly. It's running 9.0.0 build 4142-50. I tried all the usual tricks (reset, reboot, change resolution, change HDMI port, etc) but nothing helps. I got one of the other Roku sticks from my kid's room (Roku Streaming Stick), plugged it in in place of the Streaming Stick +, and it works fine. It's running 9.0.0 build 4142-55.
Switch back to the Streaming Stick +, still blinks. Switch back to the non-plus, works just fine.
Kid is pissed, wants her stick back. Any ideas?
- Michael
0 Kudos
amc2002
Level 7

Jump to solution
Wow. And here I thought if I got a stick, because it was directly connected to the TV, it would work correctly. So much for that. What's going on at Roku? Hopefully they'll update the + soon for you since the later build seems to be fine?
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution
Thanks for the note here. A few questions to help clarify what you're seeing: 

- When do you observe this issue, when you first power the TV on, and are viewing the Roku home screen, on HDMI inputs, during playback of streaming channels, etc.? 
- Have you tried connecting the device to a different HDMI port on your TV, and replacing the HDMI cable in use? 
- Have you tried connecting your Roku to another TV to see if you observe the same behavior? 
- What is the specific make/model of TV that your Roku player is connected to?
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution
@Armadillo

Thanks for the details! What make & model of TV do you experience this issue on? If you plug the Streaming Stick+ into a different TV in the house, do you observe the same behavior? 

Please PM me with additional details here and I'll follow up directly.

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
JimO
Level 7

Jump to solution
I would like to add another example of this problem to the chorus. Starting in the last month, I have started to see the same screen strobing behavior occasionally. It used to work fine, but now occasionally and not reproducibly, the home screen will start flashing, strobing, and blanking. If I change the display settings to anything other than the "Auto" default, which is 4K, HDR, 60 fps, it stops and stays stopped. Turning the unit on and off with the remote doesn't fix it, but leaving the unit for a few hours does. Then it's fine at 4K, HDR, 60 fps for days again. Then strobing/flashing again.

I have:
a Roku Ultra
connected directly to the HDMI input on the TV
using the HDMI cable provided in the same box as the Ultra by Roku
the TV is a Toshiba 43LF621U19

Couldn't be simpler.. and it's Roku's cable.

I think Roku must have introduced an intermittant bug in their last update.
I hope this helps you find the problem.
0 Kudos
wet-bulb
Level 7

Jump to solution
Beginning last October or November (of 2018) I began to have problems with my Roku Ultra in which the screen would go black for a second or so, then back to normal, then black again.  The happened over and over until I plugged and unplugged the Roku.  At the time, I noticed that the problem seemed to start on a date that coincided with a software update and my assumption was that the update broke something.
The problem has continued and become even worse.  Same symptoms, but the black screens seem to come faster.  I notice them when I am looking at videos on YouTube, although once they begin the black screens happen on whatever channel I am streaming. This has made the Roku unusable and I am starting to look for an alternative. I've also told a few friends who were interested about my experience.
Any help or info would be welcome.

4640X-Roku Ultra
YP00H8661223
Device ID 7LC69H661223
Software 9.0.0 Build 4142
TV Samsung Series 8, 55"

I have tried different HDMI cables and bought a new 4kHDMI cable but none of these fix the problem.
0 Kudos
JimO
Level 7

Jump to solution
"JimO" wrote:
I would like to add another example of this problem to the chorus. Starting in the last month, I have started to see the same screen strobing behavior occasionally. It used to work fine, but now occasionally and not reproducibly, the home screen will start flashing, strobing, and blanking. If I change the display settings to anything other than the "Auto" default, which is 4K, HDR, 60 fps, it stops and stays stopped. Turning the unit on and off with the remote doesn't fix it, but leaving the unit for a few hours does. Then it's fine at 4K, HDR, 60 fps for days again. Then strobing/flashing again.

I have:
a Roku Ultra

It happened again. This time I switched the display settings back and forth a couple times and it fixed it.
Is Roku working on a fix for this? Or has it stopped happening for the other folks on this thread?
0 Kudos
wet-bulb
Level 7

Jump to solution
Oddly (and happily) I have not seen the flickering problem in the last three days.  I checked the last software update and I think it was in February, so whatever has fixed the problem wasn't an update.  It's nice to be able to use my Roku without cursing or getting up to reboot. 

*** UPDATE***
The problem came back around 4/15/19.  Having to reboot  once or twice an evening is a drag.  It seems to be kicked off when I'm looking at YouTube videos, and I believe it has something to do with changing video modes between the videos.
0 Kudos
Benj
Level 7

Jump to solution
My TV just updated at 5:55 today on July 11th now my TV is flickering can you please fix this it's a TCL Roku TV 55 in....
0 Kudos
berty6294
Level 7

Jump to solution
"JimO" wrote:
"JimO" wrote:

I have:
a Roku Ultra

It happened again. This time I switched the display settings back and forth a couple times and it fixed it.
Is Roku working on a fix for this? Or has it stopped happening for the other folks on this thread?

Has not stopped for me. Disappointed in the lack of support from Roku. I guess they don't like having loyal customers.
0 Kudos