Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Level 15

Re: ROKU screen flickering all of a sudden

Jump to solution
"amc2002" wrote:
Ran into this last night when setting up my 4K TV, a Sony X850F with the Roku Ultra (purchased in November). The flickering started when I tried to select the 4K HDR 30Hz setting. I have all new high-quality high-speed cables, along with a HDCP 2.2 compliant HDMI selector switch in the middle. The Xbox One X shows an analysis of the HDR capabilities of the TV, and it approved and activated the 4K HDR10 connection at 30Hz. My PS4 Pro also works fine with this configuration. 

When I tried this with the Roku Ultra, it started flickering and eventually I lost the signal altogether. 

I tried changing the cable, same issue. Also tried using HDMI connection 2 and enabling the "enhanced HDMI" feature, still would not work.

The Roku Ultra is the only device at this point that is having issues connecting with HDR10 on my television. 

Bypass your HDMI switch and see if it goes away. You need to ensure that's not causing an issue. The fact it works with other devices doesn't mean it will work with the Roku. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
amc2002
Level 7

Jump to solution
"atc98092" wrote:
Bypass your HDMI switch and see if it goes away. You need to ensure that's not causing an issue. The fact it works with other devices doesn't mean it will work with the Roku. 

Yeah, that's my next step, but I think it's ridiculous that I have to do that when every other device is capable of handling this properly. I don't want to have to fish another HDMI cable through the wall just to directly hook it up to my television. I'm considering getting a 4K stick at this point (to just plug it in) or just going with the apps on the TV (shudder). I mostly use Netflix and Plex, which are already included on the TV.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

Jump to solution
"amc2002" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:

Yeah, that's my next step, but I think it's ridiculous that I have to do that when every other device is capable of handling this properly. I don't want to have to fish another HDMI cable through the wall just to directly hook it up to my television. I'm considering getting a 4K stick at this point (to just plug it in) or just going with the apps on the TV (shudder). I mostly use Netflix and Plex, which are already included on the TV.

It's just a troubleshooting step to help isolate the issue. The problem is that not all HDMI switches do what they say, as in supporting HDCP 2.2 and 4K/60 properly. And for whatever reason, Roku 4K players seem to be sensitive to the HDMI handshake being less than perfect. My Roku 4 worked perfectly at 4K/60, but when I replaced it with the Ultra 4640, I couldn't run 4K at all until I replaced my HDMI cables. Also, I've had excellent luck with Yamaha AVRs being my HDMI switch, as well of course handling my audio. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
amc2002
Level 7

Jump to solution
"atc98092" wrote:
It's just a troubleshooting step to help isolate the issue. The problem is that not all HDMI switches do what they say, as in supporting HDCP 2.2 and 4K/60 properly. And for whatever reason, Roku 4K players seem to be sensitive to the HDMI handshake being less than perfect. My Roku 4 worked perfectly at 4K/60, but when I replaced it with the Ultra 4640, I couldn't run 4K at all until I replaced my HDMI cables. Also, I've had excellent luck with Yamaha AVRs being my HDMI switch, as well of course handling my audio. 

Tried a direct cable. Works fine at 4K/60Hz HDR10. Guess I have to run a separate HDMI cable through the wall because Roku is so sensitive. Wonder why?? Tried using the apps on the TV but they're not as responsive as the Roku. Thanks for the help. Guess I should look at a full audio system for the living room. Sigh. 
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

Jump to solution
"amc2002" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:
It's just a troubleshooting step to help isolate the issue. The problem is that not all HDMI switches do what they say, as in supporting HDCP 2.2 and 4K/60 properly. And for whatever reason, Roku 4K players seem to be sensitive to the HDMI handshake being less than perfect. My Roku 4 worked perfectly at 4K/60, but when I replaced it with the Ultra 4640, I couldn't run 4K at all until I replaced my HDMI cables. Also, I've had excellent luck with Yamaha AVRs being my HDMI switch, as well of course handling my audio. 

Tried a direct cable. Works fine at 4K/60Hz HDR10. Guess I have to run a separate HDMI cable through the wall because Roku is so sensitive. Wonder why?? Tried using the apps on the TV but they're not as responsive as the Roku. Thanks for the help. Guess I should look at a full audio system for the living room. Sigh. 

Yeah, that pretty much pinpoints the problem. Unfortunately, not the first person that hit a snafu within the HDMI chain. No idea why the Roku is more sensitive to every device working absolutely perfectly. 
Dan
0 Kudos
hackztor
Level 7

Jump to solution
"atc98092" wrote:
"amc2002" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:

Yeah, that pretty much pinpoints the problem. Unfortunately, not the first person that hit a snafu within the HDMI chain. No idea why the Roku is more sensitive to every device working absolutely perfectly. 

Probably because most people use cheaper hdmi cables and not premium. Then you have so many different versions of hdmi and cables that confuses people. Then you have only certain ones rated for in wall use that you probably have to pay even more for the better cables. Then you have so many different combinations of manufacturers all doing their own thing. If you think hdmi is bad imagine hdmi cec.
0 Kudos
amc2002
Level 7

Jump to solution
"hackztor" wrote:
Probably because most people use cheaper hdmi cables and not premium. Then you have so many different versions of hdmi and cables that confuses people. Then you have only certain ones rated for in wall use that you probably have to pay even more for the better cables. Then you have so many different combinations of manufacturers all doing their own thing. If you think hdmi is bad imagine hdmi cec.

Not sure if you're referring to me specifically, but I bought brand new certified HDCP 2.2 high-quality HDMI cables when I got the TV. I made sure the entire chain was all HDCP 2.2 certified. The switch is the E-SDS 5x1 HDMI switch and it claims 4K 60Hz 4:4:4 8-bit and 4:2:0 10-bit capability. The Xbox One X detected HDR 10 capability on the TV through the switch, while the Roku didn't like the HDR setting even at 30Hz (but was fine with 4K with no HDR at 60Hz). I went into the settings again on the PS4 Pro and it said there's a possibility if I direct connect to the TV, I could get 4:2:2. Going to do a little more experimenting tonight before I finalize the whole setup, but needless to say I am now wiring the HDMI cable for the Roku direct.

I agree though that there is a huge learning curve in order to get the very best video signal from any component to the TV. Kind of ridiculous how finicky everything is. I had no idea until I started doing some research. I'm in tech and it's a lot even for me. 
0 Kudos
amc2002
Level 7

Jump to solution
Just as a follow up, once I direct connected the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X, it opened up even more HDR colorspace options, so the switch definitely isn't fully baked, even though the manufacturer claims 4K HDR @60Hz. Roku, PS4 Pro, and Xbox One X all working fine now when direct connected. Thanks @atc98092 for the help.
0 Kudos
adisak
Level 7

Jump to solution
1080P isn't working on my Samsung 55" TV since the 9.00 build 4142 update the just was pushed out.  My screen goes black for a couple seconds 2-3 times a minute during video playback and even sometimes when navigating the menus.  Forcing it to 720P fixed the problem but of course, 720P doesn't look as good as 1080P.
0 Kudos
berty6294
Level 7

Jump to solution
"adisak" wrote:
1080P isn't working on my Samsung 55" TV since the 9.00 build 4142 update the just was pushed out.  My screen goes black for a couple seconds 2-3 times a minute during video playback and even sometimes when navigating the menus.  Forcing it to 720P fixed the problem but of course, 720P doesn't look as good as 1080P.

Same. And to update everybody with how the private messages went with Tanner, he had me do some more testing, buy a new HDMI cable (that far beyond exceeds the requirements of any device on the market) and the issue is still happening. He "reported this to the team" but hasn't been able to give me updates or an answer for this. Not a knock against Tanner, he's been professional but this is an issue that isn't being taken seriously enough by Roku.
0 Kudos