Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: ROKU screen flickering all of a sudden

Jump to solution
"BubbaNag" wrote:
"BubbaNag" wrote:
I have a Roku 3, 4200X and the December 16, 2017 update "broke" 1080p playback for me too ... the video flickers and flashes while the audio cuts in and out on one of my three Panasonic plasmas. Forcing 720p restores stable audio and video. The updated Roku fails on my 2011 TC-P65VT30 but works fine on both my 2009 TC-P42G15 and my 2012 TC-P50ST50.

I have been getting diagnostic and troubleshooting help from Roku Support. They have been responsive but have failed to resolve or replicate this issue. Please, if you're experiencing this, reach out and give them your details...they clearly need more cases to identify the issue.

Here are all the troubleshooting things they had me try: Restart. Power off (disconnect plug for 60 seconds) and restart. Reseat HDMI cable. Change HDMI cable. Change HDMI port. Delete an affected channel and restart. Delete lots of channels and restart. (I deleted one and then 21 leaving 6 restarting in between the 1 and 21. Both of these despite seeing the flickering on the Roku home page and menus.) Set the theme to default and restart.

Nothing has worked. Hope enough of us will contact them so they can identify the issue and get a fix in the queue!

Happy (low resolution) Holidays!

The December 12, 2018 update has changed the behavior of the Auto/1080p selection on my Roku 3, 4200X which is connected to my 2011 TC-P65VT30: Instead of flickering, the TV display is simply black. No image shows at all. I can still only watch 720p output. Sigh.

Thanks for the note here. Just to confirm, have you tried connecting the device to a different HDMI port on the TV and using a different brand of HDMI cable? (as mentioned above) Does the same issue occur if you connect the Roku to another make/model of TV? 
If that doesn't seem to help clear up the issue, please PM me with more information, including the channel(s) you observe the issue on, specific content examples, and your current settings from within Settings>Display type' of your device. 
Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
berty6294
Level 7

Jump to solution
"RokuTannerDB" wrote:
@berty6294 

In Settings>System>Advanced system settings>Advanced display settings, go to 'Auto-adjust display refresh rate' and make sure this is 'Disabled'. This can cause the behavior you described in some circumstances, and should not typically be enabled for most use-cases. 

If the issue persists, or the setting is already disabled, I'd also recommend swapping out your HDMI cable and/or HDMI port in use on the TV to see if this helps clear up the issue. 

Feel free to PM me with more details if you need more help from there!

Thanks!
Tanner

Hi Tanner, 
Thanks for the response. This is a setting I have tried changing before, it made no difference. I've tried many HDMI cables in my house, many are fairly new cables that support 4k hdr content on other tvs and devices so I would think they have the bandwidth required for 1080p on a roku. But I am going to go ahead and bite the bullet and try a new cable to do my due diligence. Have you any recommendations on specific cable specs I should be looking for?
Thanks!
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution
@berty6924

Any HDMI cable that is denoted as 'premium' or 'high-speed' and is confirmed to be HDCP 2.2 compliant would be a good choice. This required for 4K content support. 

Definitely double check the setting I mentioned earlier, as this can cause the behavior you described. 

Feel free to PM me with more specifics, including the channel(s) you observed the issue on, content examples, TV make/model and your Roku account email address if you need additional help from there. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos

Jump to solution
Thanks for the information. Changing from Auto to 1080P worked for me. We'll see if this "sticks". I haven't used this for a long time so perhaps it just got an update. Are these automatic or to do need to request and update?
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution
@IndependentEddie 

Roku software updates are delivered to your device automatically as long as it has a network connection. However, you can also check for updates anytime by visiting Settings>System>About. 
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
berty6294
Level 7

Jump to solution
"RokuTannerDB" wrote:
@berty6924

Any HDMI cable that is denoted as 'premium' or 'high-speed' and is confirmed to be HDCP 2.2 compliant would be a good choice. This required for 4K content support. 

Definitely double check the setting I mentioned earlier, as this can cause the behavior you described. 

Feel free to PM me with more specifics, including the channel(s) you observed the issue on, content examples, TV make/model and your Roku account email address if you need additional help from there. 

Thanks,
Tanner

Hi Tanner,
I purchased a new HDMI cable, it is rated as "High Speed" 22.28 Gbps, 28AWG, Version 2.0b, HDCP 2.2, capable of 4K / Ultra HD up to 496 x 2160p @60Hz, HDR, ARC, 3D, Backwards compatible with 1080p and earlier HDMI version. STILL giving me the same issue. Happens with every channel (i used Xfinity Stream, Youtube, Netflix, and Hulu mostly and have seen the issue with each of those channels). TV is a Samsung UN46FH6030. 1080p will not work, it will flicker to a black screen every couple of minutes. 720p does work without that issue (but why should I use 720p when I purchased a tv and roku capable of 1080p). Thank you!
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution
@berty6924

I'll reach out directly and get you in touch with our support team to see what else we can do to help get this resolved. 
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Troy23
Level 7

Jump to solution
I'm having the same issue that just started in the last week with my Roku Ultra and Samsung plasma 720p. I have tried changing the display setting to 720p and using a different HDMI cable. Both HDMI cables are Rockerfish 4K UltraHD/HDR. At first I thought is was the TV but everything works fine with the blue ray disc player. I also tried using my Roku streaming stick but I still have the same issue. I have three other LED TV's in the house and they are working fine.   
0 Kudos
rogerwidmar
Level 7

Jump to solution
I too am having the issue of my ROKU screen flickering all of a sudden.  I have a ROKU 3 4200 and it was working fine two days ago.  The last system update was January 14, 2019 and my software is all up to date.   I swapped out the HDMI cables on my TV and also replaced the HDMI cable with a new one.  I totally disconnected the ROKU 3 for at least 15 minutes.   I tried to change the picture type from Auto to both 720 and 1080 and neither of those got rid of the flickering.   Is it possible that the ROKU 3 just 'died' and is broken and do I need a new one?   I have another ROKU TV that works fine and I have a Samsung smart TV that has a ROKU stick and both of those TVs are working fine.   How can I fix my ROKU 3 on my LG 1080P TV?
0 Kudos
amc2002
Level 7

Jump to solution
Ran into this last night when setting up my 4K TV, a Sony X850F with the Roku Ultra (purchased in November). The flickering started when I tried to select the 4K HDR 30Hz setting. I have all new high-quality high-speed cables, along with a HDCP 2.2 compliant HDMI selector switch in the middle. The Xbox One X shows an analysis of the HDR capabilities of the TV, and it approved and activated the 4K HDR10 connection at 30Hz. My PS4 Pro also works fine with this configuration. 

When I tried this with the Roku Ultra, it started flickering and eventually I lost the signal altogether. 

I tried changing the cable, same issue. Also tried using HDMI connection 2 and enabling the "enhanced HDMI" feature, still would not work.

The Roku Ultra is the only device at this point that is having issues connecting with HDR10 on my television. 
0 Kudos