Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: ROKU screen flickering all of a sudden

Jump to solution
If you're experiencing this issue, please provide your serial number.  Also post make/model of any piece of equipment the Roku is connected to.

Thanks.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
BubbaNag
Level 7

Jump to solution
I have a Roku 3, 4200X and the December 16, 2017 update "broke" 1080p playback for me too ... the video flickers and flashes while the audio cuts in and out on one of my three Panasonic plasmas. Forcing 720p restores stable audio and video. The updated Roku fails on my 2011 TC-P65VT30 but works fine on both my 2009 TC-P42G15 and my 2012 TC-P50ST50.

I have been getting diagnostic and troubleshooting help from Roku Support. They have been responsive but have failed to resolve or replicate this issue. Please, if you're experiencing this, reach out and give them your details...they clearly need more cases to identify the issue.

Here are all the troubleshooting things they had me try: Restart. Power off (disconnect plug for 60 seconds) and restart. Reseat HDMI cable. Change HDMI cable. Change HDMI port. Delete an affected channel and restart. Delete lots of channels and restart. (I deleted one and then 21 leaving 6 restarting in between the 1 and 21. Both of these despite seeing the flickering on the Roku home page and menus.) Set the theme to default and restart.

Nothing has worked. Hope enough of us will contact them so they can identify the issue and get a fix in the queue!

Happy (low resolution) Holidays!
0 Kudos
TroyP
Level 7

Jump to solution
I just experienced the flickering issue myself for the first time.  I have "Roku player 4200X"

Wasn't the cord, wasn't the t.v.  My issue was instantly resolved after I went to "settings", then "display type", and chose "1080p" instead of "Automatic" and saved that choice.

Hope this will help others.

UPDATE:  Had to repeat this procedure the next day, as the flickering was back.  Seems to start flickering every time I switch the t.v. to the input of the ROKU.  Had to switch to  "Automatic", then back to "1080p" again in the ROKU settings, and then it stopped flickering again. Seems to fix it every time, but definitely a pain to have to do this every time.

Hope ROKU updates the firmware soon to solve this problem.
0 Kudos
Angabanga
Level 7

Re: ROKU screen flickering all of a Suddenlink

Jump to solution
I also have the same flickering problem. A restart fixes the issue but it comes back when the Roku is turned back on the next day. I changed the settings to not auto detect and strictly set to 1080P. We'll see what happens.
0 Kudos
REJ2
Level 7

Jump to solution
My ROKU has been requiring a reset every single day for months.Does fine if left on all day but if it gets turned off another rest is required. I have tried powering down, checked cable connections, manually set display type, etc and nothing works. Very aggravating to say the least.
I would like to think that a company of this size and fan base would correct the issue and push a firmware upgrade to all customers; never had an issue with FS.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Jump to solution
"REJ2" wrote:
My ROKU has been requiring a reset every single day for months.Does fine if left on all day but if it gets turned off another rest is required. I have tried powering down, checked cable connections, manually set display type, etc and nothing works. Very aggravating to say the least.

I would like to think that a company of this size and fan base would correct the issue and push a firmware upgrade to all customers; never had an issue with FS.

You say "reset." Are you doing a Factory Reset every day?

I know many people use the term "reset" for a restart or reboot, and that's an acceptable and common usage. However, because of the potential confusion between those actions and a Factory Reset, I generally avoid that usage. So, I'm asking for clarification if you are doing a full factory reset of the device or are doing a reboot or restart (turning it off and on again).

I'm thinking you're talking about a factory reset because you mention about a power down not accomplishing what a reset does. So, please clarify.

Also, you say you are turning the Roku off. Well, most don't have an off switch -- I think a Roku 4 might, but I never had one of those, so I'm uncertain -- so which Roku and how are you turning it off?

Next, please, when reporting an issue, provide the information requested in the Forum Rules listed at the top of the page. At a minimum, the device to include the model number, and the software and build version. Also helpful might be if you're returning the device to the Home Screen when you finish watching, or are you leaving it inside an app? A description of the usual end-of-day behavior would be helpful.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos

Jump to solution
My roku tv started flickering but here's the kicker... it's never been updated as well as it's not connected to any receiver. It's connected to an Xbox one via hdmi and a ps3 via hdmi. I know it's not either hdmi cables because it still flickers even when I hit the home button and see both my connections. It's the tv itself, I have reset picture settings, factory restored it and rebooted it which fixed nothing.
0 Kudos
Licklog
Level 7

Jump to solution
Just bought a Roku Premier+. Worked fine for a day and then the flickering started. Tried a different network and display settings but no joy. I have two other Roku sticks that have no issues. Bought the Premiere+ plus For the voice remote and TV control features(don't have 4k). Found this thread and see the issues has quite a history with no "fix" identified. My fix is to return it to Wal-Mart tomorrow. Not worth the aggrevation.
0 Kudos
juliersh
Level 7

Jump to solution
Yes..it's the settings and display type. Excellent. Thanks
0 Kudos
rkn
Level 7

Jump to solution
Both of my rokus are now doing the same thing - just flickering lines - happened at the same time - believe this must be a defective software release.  Everything was working fine a couple of days ago on both tvs.  Help!
0 Kudos