Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: ROKU screen flickering all of a sudden

Jump to solution

I went to advanced system settings, but there is no refresh rate there.  There are factory reset, network connection reset, device connect, and control by mobile apps.  Am I missing something?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

@Ann4 wrote:

I went to advanced system settings, but there is no refresh rate there.  There are factory reset, network connection reset, device connect, and control by mobile apps.  Am I missing something?

What model Roku do you have? I believe the refresh rate setting is only on the 4K capable players. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

@RokuTannerD @I went to advanced system settings and all it shows is resetting the tvs audios and picture setting

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have done all suggestions. Nothing works. Flickering since service issue posted 5/7/2020 5:40 pm. No customer support. Any new suggestions?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanx it worked for me 😁

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I have been kicking myself for weeks now trying to fix the same problem.

I have a brand new Vizio P659-G1

I have a brand new Roku Ultra.

I've gone through 3 HDMI cables so far.  Ivanky, MonoPrice, MonoPrice+ (more exspensive active HDMI cable).  All of these cables should handle full 4k 60Hz HDR.

If I do NOT turn on HDR everything is fine but I bought this new setup specifically to utilize HDR.  When I force the roku to 4K 60Hz (NO HDR) I have no issues.

As soon as I put on HDR the screen intermittently cuts out.  If I run "auto" it will put the Roku on HDR mode as well and I get same result/issue.  This happens even on the menu.  YouTube, Netflix, etc. do the same thing.  It doesn't actually have to be HDR content... I just get this issue as soon as I select HDR in options.  Every 10-30 seconds sound/video cuts out for a bit.  Sometimes it'll suddenly be fine for 5 minutes and then suddenly it'll keep happening almost non stop.

Again I've gone through 3 cables.  I've tried multiple inputs on the Vizio.  I have tried running the roku direct to the TV to take my AVR out of the equation and that makes no difference whatsoever.

I seem to do a bit better on 4:2:0 vs 4:2:2 but I shouldn't have to do that either.  I want all the color... I didn't buy brand new stuff to use sub par options on my equipment!  On 4:2:2 I get screen flickering as well which is in addition to the black/cutting out.

If I watch HDR through youtube app on the TV itself I have no issues.  Again if I watch that video through the Roku I get the issues as soon as HDR is enabled.

Just found this thread today and it seems I'm not alone.  It has to be the roku.  I have an Nvidia shield and I tested that and it works without issue with same cables and same tv/input port.

I own a BUNCH of roku's and I would hate to move to another product but very frustrated I can't use HDR on the new TV I got only because I wanted to take advantage of HDR content!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

ROKU screen flickering most of the time

Jump to solution

I see others have this issue but none of the solutions seem to apply to me. TannerD suggests something I don't even have in my Express settings -- auto display in settings. I've reset the connection and reboot constantly 
Nothing helps although sometimes it stops magically. Then eventually starts up again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: ROKU screen flickering most of the time

Jump to solution

@jakarr wrote:

I see others have this issue but none of the solutions seem to apply to me. TannerD suggests something I don't even have in my Express settings -- auto display in settings. I've reset the connection and reboot constantly 
Nothing helps although sometimes it stops magically. Then eventually starts up again.

Every Roku has an Auto setting under Display, along with the manual resolution settings, which in your case will be 720 and 1080. In general flickering is an HDMI handshake issue, and could be something with the TV, the Roku, or the HDMI cable. A little lint/dust in the cable or device connections can raise havoc sometimes. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Changing the resolution to 720 did not help, nor trying another HDMI port. I want to return this for repair. Looking for my serial number in settings/about so to link my account, and there is very little information -- an ip address, Mac address. And of course no serial number. So I did a factory reset, although it is NOT accepting my password for wireless. What a mess now! This was supposed to be simple!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

@jakarr wrote:

Changing the resolution to 720 did not help, nor trying another HDMI port. I want to return this for repair. Looking for my serial number in settings/about so to link my account, and there is very little information -- an ip address, Mac address. And of course no serial number. So I did a factory reset, although it is NOT accepting my password for wireless. What a mess now! This was supposed to be simple!

When I look at the Settings/System/About, I see the Roku model number, the serial number, the software version, uptime, device ID, along with the network information. You might see if you were in the correct location. It sounds more like you were in the Settings/Network/About section. 

Of course, you've done a hard reset, and now you're having network connection issues. One suggestion here has been to use an alternate Internet connection, such as a phone hotspot. This has worked many times when others have not been able to connect to their home WiFi. 

Dan
0 Kudos