Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: ROKU screen flickering all of a sudden

Jump to solution
Do you know if the team has identified any root cause for the sudden flickering that wasn't being experienced before. I bought my Roku Premiere almost a year ago so it seems too early to be a unit problem.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

@bryguy 

I received a call from Roku support the other day.  They are working on swapping out my one 2019 model Roku Express, but I am not 100% convinced that I will see any difference unless they send a modified unit as I already tried another brand new Roku Express (was slated for another TV in our house) and it did the same thing.  It seems like a HDMI handshake issue in my case with the Roku trying to send a 1080p image to my 720p bedroom TV (it is reported to support 1080i and thus the Roku is getting confused on what to send, tries to send a 1080p, it fails and the screen goes black, then sends the 720p signal, it works, and then it tries 1080p again, and just loops.  Just my assessment anyway.

Not sure why a Roku that has been working for a year would all of a sudden do that to you, but maybe it was a software update.  Our above mentioned Roku worked fine for about a week before this started, and then the other one that I put in its place started doing it right away (it was on the latest firmware/software too).  Who knows.  In my case I just don't get why setting the device to s specific resolution setting manually doesn't "stick."  My TV would display 720p and the Roku would display 1080p even when set manually to 1080p.

Hopefully they get these things sorted out soon.  Sounds like an ongoing problem for a lot of people.  We just invested in a new 4K TV with Roku built in, already had an older Roku that now is connected to a small 19" tube TV in the basement guest bedroom, and bought 4 more Rokus (one 2018 Express Plus for an older TV in our bathroom, and three 2019 Express models for our other TVs).  We want a consistent experience throughout the house, so I really hope to get this sorted out.  The only place that will have a different experience is in our home theater because we are using a different product in there that costs more than the top end Roku, but got it for other reasons that aren't relevant here.

Good luck.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
When I go into settings>system>advanced system settings, there isn't an advanced display settings option.
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
Change the brightness it worked for me
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

Hi there, 

Advanced display settings are only available on 4K capable Roku devices. 

Try connecting your Roku to a different HDMI port on your TV, or replace the HDMI cable that connects your device to your TV. This type of issue can occur if your HDMI port is worn out or damaged, if your cable connection is loose, the cable is damaged, etc. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: ROKU screen flickering all of a sudden green led on unit is blinking.

Jump to solution

Not sure about the tv screen flickering, more so it and sound go off for about 10 to 15 seconds of operation. I get only a black screen with the info showing at top you might get when turning on tv or switching ports. If kept on after this, the 10 to 15 seconds drops to about 8-10 seconds. The Roku  Premier device worked well for about a year then this problem showed up a couple months ago. Checked settings and signal and all other aspects needed for operation were well within range. There is a small green LED on the unit that also that i've noticed will blink. Roku does not seem to have any info on that issue nor the one mentioned above. I'm thinking that this is caused by some sort of update procedure from their offices. Any ideas on what's causing these issues? There are no code numbers shown on the tv after it goes off or before.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I have the roku Premiere and my screen has started glitching all of a sudden. Ive tried everything except buying a new high definition cable. Can anyone help me? I think it has to do with the new (9.2.0) software update. Out of 5 years ive never had a problem until now. The screen makes a loud static noise and flashes black and then returns to normal all in about 2 to 3 seconds. It even happens when im on the home screen. The flash be so loud and sudden that it startles me at times. I hope a new update will fix this ASAP!!! 

Software version: 9.2.0

Build: 4750

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Why are our roku devices all of a sudden glitching. I have PTSD and this glitch makes a loud noise when it happens and startles me and make my heart rate spike. Please fix this or i would like a refund and change to Fire TV!!! I've tried everything and this is my only way of watching television. Roku has let me down on this one. I've had my device for a few years and have NEVER HAD NOT ONE PROBLEM UNTIL NOW. It has to be the new update or something. I have read all posts and tried them all. It is still glitching even on the home menu screen. Is there a fix to this or do we have to wait for another update to fix it? Please reply asap!!! Thanks

Model: 4620X Roku Premiere

Software version: 9.2.0 build 4750-29

S/N: YT00DX346487

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

HI. I HAVE 4K LG TV. TV WORK FINE BUT ROKU WORK OK LAST MONTH AND NOW LAST FEW DAYS FLICKERING ON AND OFF, PLEASE HELP.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution
Having the same problem and also the sound disappears and comes back
0 Kudos