Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mathguyTulsa
Level 7

ROKU and Sony STR-DH550

This is driving me nuts.
My Roku XD is connected to my Sony amplifier, which in turn connects to my LG TV.
I've had two problems with this setup, starting about a month ago.  Originally, I had CEC enabled on the amplifier and the TV.  I *NEVER* have had "one-touch play" enabled on the ROKU.  About a month ago, whenever I turned off my system (TV and AMP), about a minute later everything would power back on and the ROKU menu would be displayed, regardless of what I'd been watching before.  So, it's activating the amplifier, via the HDMI port it's connected to, which in turn switches the TV on.  
So, I disabled CEC on the amplifier while keeping the "audio return" feature active--so that I can use the volume control on the TV to change the volume.  That solved the problem of the Roku box switching the system back on when I really want it off. 
However, I now have a worse problem.  When I change the volume (whether using the TV or AMP control), the screen goes blank for about five seconds while the volume changes, and then it returns to whatever I was watching with my Roku.  
The ONLY way I've found to "fix" this is to disable the amp speakers altogether and use just the TV speakers. That's obviously not an acceptable solution.
This is *clearly* a problem with the Roku, and doubtless is connected to an update. (The Amp is not online and no updates area available in any case.) My Roku is running Version 9.0.0, build 4084.
I'm ready to trash the Roku altogether and just use the built-in apps on the TV.  At least they work.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DBDukes
Level 10

Re: ROKU and Sony STR-DH550

"mathguyTulsa" wrote:
This is driving me nuts.

My Roku XD is connected to my Sony amplifier, which in turn connects to my LG TV.

I've had two problems with this setup, starting about a month ago.  Originally, I had CEC enabled on the amplifier and the TV.  I *NEVER* have had "one-touch play" enabled on the ROKU.  About a month ago, whenever I turned off my system (TV and AMP), about a minute later everything would power back on and the ROKU menu would be displayed, regardless of what I'd been watching before.  So, it's activating the amplifier, via the HDMI port it's connected to, which in turn switches the TV on.  

So, I disabled CEC on the amplifier while keeping the "audio return" feature active--so that I can use the volume control on the TV to change the volume.  That solved the problem of the Roku box switching the system back on when I really want it off. 

However, I now have a worse problem.  When I change the volume (whether using the TV or AMP control), the screen goes blank for about five seconds while the volume changes, and then it returns to whatever I was watching with my Roku.  

The ONLY way I've found to "fix" this is to disable the amp speakers altogether and use just the TV speakers. That's obviously not an acceptable solution.

This is *clearly* a problem with the Roku, and doubtless is connected to an update. (The Amp is not online and no updates area available in any case.) My Roku is running Version 9.0.0, build 4084.

I'm ready to trash the Roku altogether and just use the built-in apps on the TV.  At least they work.

First, I suspect you don't have a Roku XD, at least not running software version 9.0. That device is model 2050, was introduced in 2010, was replaced by the Roku 2 XD model 3050 in 2011. All first generation devices, including the Roku XD, were dropped from support in 2015, and haven't been receiving software updates for years.. https://variety.com/2015/digital/news/r ... 201583783/

It's the Roku 2 XD which is what I suspect you have. And that's an important distinction. That's why model numbers are so important when reporting issues, as laid out in the Forum Rules at the top of the page. The solutions to be offered the issue with the Roku XD vs the Roku 2 XD are different. From this point forward, I'm going to proceed as if it's actually the Roku 2 XD (model 3050) that you have. If not, don't read any further, because this won't apply to the model 2050.

Next, someone will probably suggest you update your Roku. I'm not gonna do that. You already know the Roku 2 XD is an old device. Either you got it a long time ago, as it was discontinued in 2013, or you got it second-hand, and knew it was old when you got it. Either way, it's old. But, it's been functioning, and if there's a way to keep it functioning, that's our target.

Now, about the actual issue. Your software is out of date. You should have received 9.0.09 build 4114 previous to now. Do a check for update. That build fixed a few bugs, but I have no idea if your issue described was one of them.

Along that line, it brings up the question of why you didn't receive the update. Roku devices update overnight. For some reason, yours didn't. Go to Settings > System > System Update and get the update to build 4114. That may solve the problem, if that was one of the bugs fixed.

If not, let us know, confirming the device name and number. Oh, and editing the title to something like "Roku 2 XD and Sony STR-DH550" might be a good idea.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
mathguyTulsa
Level 7

Thank you for your response.
The model is actually a 4640X-Roku Ultra.  As of tonight, it is running software version 9.0, build 4114-29.   While I requested an update when I did the above post, it told me none was available, so it clearly auto-updated since I posted the above.  I've been told that Roku pushes the updates out on a schedule, but not to all devices simultaneously.  That makes sense--Microsoft does the same thing, except for critical updates.  So, depending on the schedule, 4640X devices could be running different versions of the software while showing they are running the "Most current."  Again, Microsoft Update does that, too, except that there's a way to really force an update by going directly to Microsoft.com.
So...the most recent update seems to have fixed the HDMI problem.  But now I'm getting another problem.  My Roku is hard-wired to my network.  I've set the router to give traffic on the Roku device priorityl, so network timeouts should not come from my LAN but from some other source.  However, when using Roku with Netflix, I keep getting time-out errors.  I only get these when using the *Roku* and with Netflix.
If I attempt to pull the exact same Netflix video on my notebook or on the Netflix app on my TV, it runs fine even while Netflix via the Roku runs about 10 seconds, stops to reload, then another ten seconds, etc.  
Roku in the past has provided exemplary service, but the Ultra boxes have had problems, including deficient fans that resulted in a massive recall.  At least I have alternatives when the Roku fails
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"mathguyTulsa" wrote:
Thank you for your response.

The model is actually a 4640X-Roku Ultra.  As of tonight, it is running software version 9.0, build 4114-29.   While I requested an update when I did the above post, it told me none was available, so it clearly auto-updated since I posted the above.  I've been told that Roku pushes the updates out on a schedule, but not to all devices simultaneously.  That makes sense--Microsoft does the same thing, except for critical updates.  So, depending on the schedule, 4640X devices could be running different versions of the software while showing they are running the "Most current."  Again, Microsoft Update does that, too, except that there's a way to really force an update by going directly to Microsoft.com.
So...the most recent update seems to have fixed the HDMI problem.  But now I'm getting another problem.  My Roku is hard-wired to my network.  I've set the router to give traffic on the Roku device priorityl, so network timeouts should not come from my LAN but from some other source.  However, when using Roku with Netflix, I keep getting time-out errors.  I only get these when using the *Roku* and with Netflix.

If I attempt to pull the exact same Netflix video on my notebook or on the Netflix app on my TV, it runs fine even while Netflix via the Roku runs about 10 seconds, stops to reload, then another ten seconds, etc.  

Roku in the past has provided exemplary service, but the Ultra boxes have had problems, including deficient fans that resulted in a massive recall.  At least I have alternatives when the Roku fails

The Roku Ultra model 4640 (the suffix only means the distribution channel and not a hardware difference) is a great device. However, you were misinformed about the Ultra having a recall because of a fan. The Roku Ultra 4640 doesn't have a fan. The Roku 4 (model 4400) had a fan and there were severe performance issue with it. The Roku Ultra (4640) replace the Roku 4. And, as I said, it doesn't have a fan. You were misinformed.

The Netflix issue could be related to something about your device, but it's likely Netflix itself (the service and its servers) that are the problem. You see, they have different servers for different devices. If you go to Netflix on your computer, you'll get the stream from one server (or series of servers). If, at the same time, you go to Netflix on an iPad, you'll get the stream from a different server (or servers) that is set up to stream to iPad. And, if you go via Roku, you'll get the servers designated for Roku. (And, it's possible if you went to Netflix on your Roku, and I went to Netflix on my Roku, we could get different servers, because there may be one cluster closer to you and another cluster closer to me.) So, as you can see, testing Netflix on a different type of device doesn't necessarily give you the full picture.

One thing to try would be to remove Netflix from your Roku, then reboot the Roku. After it's rebooted, reinstall the app. Don't skip the reboot, or do it anywhere else in the process. Remove, reboot, reinstall. That clears everything off the device and allows a fresh install.

Don't know if that will fix it, but since the issue isn't impacting everyone using Roku, it's likely some localized issue. Heck, it could even be your ISP's DNS servers. Changing your DNS settings to use Open DNS, Google DNS, or some other might actually resolve the issue. But, I'd suggest the remove, reboot, reinstall first.

Good luck.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos