Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Infotrack
Binge Watcher

ROKU Ultra Not Booting

Jump to solution

I posted this in "Community" but then saw this category so thought this might be a more appropriate place, so posting here too..

My ROKU Ultra Model 4670R has a continual boot-up problem.  If there is a brief power outage or the power cord accidently get disconnected, the Roku spends hours and hours and hours trying to reboot.  The screen where the ROKU letters jump up and down appears for several seconds then the screen goes black.  Then after several minutes it does it again, over and over.  The Roku is plugged into the wall outlet, not USB for power.

It has been doing this since I bought it new when first released.  I've resolved it before by hitting the reset button, then having to reload all the channels I had before.  Roku support has been of no help, as all they do is for more and more information and never come to a resolution.

My power cord was accidently disconnected yesterday morning.  I hit the reset, but it is still trying to do the same thing, trying to boot up over and over.  It's been a full day now. 

It is fully up to date with all available updates.

Serial number is:KW999E853839.

Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: ROKU Ultra Not Booting

Jump to solution

As I replied in the other post, try removing any SD card if you have one. Also, it's possible the power supply is bad and not giving the proper voltage. No easy way to check it without a voltmeter. Not sure if it's a special supply, or just a USB-style supply. If it's USB, you can try using a regular phone charger.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

As I replied in the other post, try removing any SD card if you have one. Also, it's possible the power supply is bad and not giving the proper voltage. No easy way to check it without a voltmeter. Not sure if it's a special supply, or just a USB-style supply. If it's USB, you can try using a regular phone charger.

0 Kudos
Infotrack
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Thanks Andy.  I will try this.  I'll remove the micro SD card.  It is plugged into the wall for power.  I'll get back once I have had a chance tonight.  Again thanks for the response.  Hopefully it will work.

0 Kudos
Infotrack
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

WOW!!  I removed the power plug then removed the micro SD card from under the HDMI cable.  I left the power disconnected for about 30 seconds, then plugged everything back in except the micro SD card.

The Roku powered up and booted up right away with no problem.  Thank you so much Andy.  I was almost at the point where I was giving up on Roku.  Now WHY couldn't have Roku support have thought of this solution way back when I first asked them for help?

Any way, Andy, you need to get a new job someplace where they value geniuses'  with substantial pay increases.

0 Kudos
jokimo
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have this EXACT same issue with my Ultra (4660R?) ....low use ...only 200 or less hours in the 3 years I've owned it.... It seemed to get worse with the update to V.10.5 a few months ago.... until it got to the point a couple weeks ago, the endless loop of the Roku animation for 30 seconds, black for a few minutes, animation again, then black...and so on...the continuous loop for hours without ever getting to the channel list home screen.  This is too much of a coincidence not to be an DEFINITE BUG in the ULTRA firmware or hardware that ROKU should take responsibility for and fix with a replacement unit without this bug fixed !!!  I called and emailed Roku Customer Support and they were WORTHLESS !!!!!   After having bought 7 different Rokus in the past 10 years I think I deserve better treatment.  They diagnosed it as a possible power supply defect.... but again REFUSED to do anything to fix it including sending me a power supply which can't cost them more than $5 in the quantity they must buy or manufacture.  Their answer was to THROW IT AWAY and buy a new one. Ridiculous !!! This Silicon Valley "NO FIX/THROW IT AWAY" mentality MUST END. I will try the remedy of removing the SD card and prey for the best.... but again, this is the EXACT SAME PROBLEM, so it must be a Roku defect that their Customer service dept. should know about and take responsibility for.  I am a VERY UNHAPPY CUSTOMER who will never again buy a Roku unless they fix it.  As much as I dislike Bezos, I'll be an Amazon customer for streaming devices from here on out.

0 Kudos
Infotrack
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I am sorry you are having the same problem I had.  I do love my Roku, however.  Once I removed the memory card from the Roku, I have had NO more re-boot problems.  So, I don't know if it is memory card problem or a Roku problem caused by Roku not knowing how to deal with a memory card in their machine.  Please let us know if the removal of the memory card from the back of your Roku ultra solved the problem for you like it did for me.

0 Kudos
jokimo
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks for this info... I too have had success booting up to Home page again by removing the SD memory card (top line Sandisk 8 gb)... I reformatted the disk for Fat 32 and it works FINE in my laptop and camera for both recording and playback... So it is NOT the disk.....

I believe it is a KNOWN issue w/ Roku that the Ultra has disk compatibility issues.... if not then they are IDIOTS in the tech support/customer service dept. for NOT knowing when there have been so many customers complaints with this same problem.  Extremely disappointed in Roku  for not standing behind their product ( I have purchased 6 other models over the past 10 years!)  Their advice to me..... wait for it....YEP... just throw it away and buy a new one cause it was out of warranty.... despicable customer service and I will NEVER AGAIN by a Roku product. ....AMAZON FIRE STICK HERE i COME.

0 Kudos
jokimo
Channel Surfer

Re: ROKU Ultra (4660X2) Not Booting consistently

Jump to solution

MY messages below tell the story.... now that I re-read some comments, my recently re-occurring boot up problems  may be exacerbated by a couple  (less than a minute) storm related power outages last week.  

Once again fixed by removing power cord and removing SD card.... booted right up in under a minute when I plugged it back in (No SD card in place). 

If anyone in the community has any connection to Roku Tech Support Staff, PLEASE tell them to correct this problem with their next release  (Version 12) which I understand is due in the next few months. I have had this boot up problem ever since the first version of V.11 was installed over 2 years ago. (Ultra 4660X2)

0 Kudos