Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EagleGrandpa
Level 9

Re: ROKU Ultra Model 4670X sends overheating message.

I've written to NBCSports and CC's ROKU informing them in great detail of the conditions, software releases etc. I received an automated response from NBCSports "Thank you for contacting our NBC Sports Support Team. Your request has been received and is currently being reviewed."

That was 4 days ago so I hope to hear from them with an update sometime this week. There is no doubt that the hardware ROKU device runs hotter when this app is being used. If I hear from them I will update here.

Thunderbox
Level 8

I too have been having a problem with overheating on my Ultra.  Worked fine for two months and I just started getting the overheating message. I submitted a RMA request and while waiting for a reply I decided to google the issue as I noticed it was only happening with the NBC Sports App. Last night it flashed almost non stop. I switched over to Hulu Live and never got the message for the rest of the evening.

For the record I am a NBC Sport Gold subscriber (Premiere League)

Hopefully one of the developers sees this and starts to investigate.

EagleGrandpa
Level 9

You may have seen that I wrote to NBCSports about the issue and copied ROKU. Other than automatic replies I've heard nothing. I also reposted the issue on a different community topic at "Channel Issues & Questions" hoping for more exposure.

Love Liverpool!!

[content edited]

Aloysius
Level 7

I'm having the same overheating issue with the NBC Sports app with the Ultra. @EagleGrandpa Hopefully you get a response from someone.

mskenny
Level 8

I used their website to send a complaint to NBC Sports Gold yesterday but haven't had a response. Maybe if enough people do that it will spur them to action. I had opened an issue with Roku but now they're blaming NBC.

Thunderbox
Level 8

I just submitted a ticket to NBC Sporst outlining the issue. I confirmed again that it is only when using the NBC Sports app. The version of the app is Version 6 build 22. No other apps cause my Roku Ultra to overheat.

My RMA request to Roku was replied too, advising me to send my address in to get the RMA going. I replied that I am now aware that the problem may be the NBC app and if a replacement Ultra would solve the issue. No reply back yet from Roku

More to follow I hope

EagleGrandpa
Level 9

I expect we will never hear from NBCSports re: acknowledgement of the issue, there will be some update somewhere in the future and the issue will no longer exist. Just a hunch but I've worked with software developers long enough to know they don't like admitting their problems. To be clear, we don't hear them saying it's NOT their problem, do we.

Blackhawks_fan
Level 8

I have the same problem when watching the NBC Sports app on my Ultra box. I can watch all other apps all day without an issue. As soon as I turn on NBC Sports the overheating error pops up. The unit is not hot and the light never turns red. I don’t get an error watching the app on my Roku TV. I’m guessing it’s a compatibility issue or coding problem between NBC and the Ultra unit. I just keep watching and the message will come and go.

EagleGrandpa
Level 9

My unit does get considerably warmer than other apps but I also do not get a red light, just a fast flashing white light. I too believe this is some sort of software issue with NBCSports. I have another earlier Ultra, 4660X and it also runs warmer when NBCSports is active, just not as warm as the 4670.

Personally I can't believe that this is allowed to go on especially when NBCSports sells premium services (Gold) and other users on this thread have said that they get the overheat message when using those premium services. I really believe this is an NBC Sports issue and not really ROKU at all (But of course, I could be wrong). In any case you would think that some collaboration would correct this matter.

mskenny
Level 8

I called NBC Sports support on Sunday after living with that message popping up every couple of minutes through a soccer match. When they finally called me back they made it clear they consider this a Roku error because that's where the error message comes from and it was Roku's problem to fix. In other words, they don't care that the people who pay them for the service can't get it properly. The support guy also told me I should have bought an Amazon Fire TV.