Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: ROKU Ultra Model 4670X sends overheating message.

@hmundo 

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.

For more information visit our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?

If you need further assistance with your device overheating, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
JkDubj
Level 8

I just bought 2 Ultra’s: returning 1 so far due to over heating.  My second one just gave me the tempcheck alert after 40-45 days.  Not happy about this.  Both are open and not enclosed.  4670X 9.2.0 builds 4807-46.

unplugging has been ineffective.  Is there a true fix for this?

0 Kudos
hairywolf
Level 7

Only happens when on fubo. Does not happen on Netflix, Hulu, Hallmark etc.

0 Kudos
JkDubj
Level 8

I have Fubo as well.  Could be common denominator here as well.

0 Kudos
JkDubj
Level 8

I just returned/swapped one of my Roku Ultras and have confirmed that the Fubo App is responsible for tempcheck alert.  I watched several hours of Netflix, Hulu over weekend and never received tempcheck alert.

will someone please call Fubo??!!

0 Kudos
Weldview
Level 7

I had the screen overheat message while watching live news channel with FuboTV. I put a couple pencils under the Roku Ultra so it has more airflow underneath it to help dissipate heat, that seemed to help.

0 Kudos
mskenny
Level 8

This problem only happened for me in the NBC Sports app when watching a long stream like a Premier League match.  I eventually got Roku to send me a replacement unit (at my expense which is ridiculous) and I've successfully watched a match without the message using the new unit.  If you keep having the problem you should try to get an exchange.

0 Kudos
JkDubj
Level 8

Sorry to say Roku “customer service” when a unit has been recalled or they want to replace is SAD.  Replacement through Amazon is much easier and friendlier, Amazon loves their customers!

0 Kudos
Kevin0
Level 7

I just had this issue with the Adult Swim app last night on a 5 month old Roku Ultra. I've had Roku devices for almost 10 years and this is the first time anything like this has happened.

0 Kudos
JulianGH
Level 7

My Roku Ultra (4670 series)  functioned perfectly well until, a few days after I acquired a 4K-capable TV, the device overheating message began to display. I moved the unit to be away from all other components, and even stood it on its side to expose more surface for radiative cooling. This did not help. Then I put the Roku on top of a large ziploc bag full of ice, and the message recurred. I wish I could immerse the bloody thing in a bath of HFE, but I don't have such exotic materials on hand. I suspect the issue is one of design -- the packaging of the electronics clearly doesn't provide for the heating load imposed by standard operation while doing precisely what it's supposed to do -- stream 4K television. That's a failure of the product, and it should be rectified without cost to we who bought the thing assuming it had been designed in a way adequate for its purpose. I am contemplating stripping it of its plastic integument, and constructing a fan-cooled safety-cage to stop cats from nosing live components.

There are on the market alternatives to ROKU, and as soon as I have an income again I shall be researching them, since I haven't the least expectation that ROKU will actually do anything about this signal failure of its product.

0 Kudos