Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mskenny
Level 8

Re: ROKU Ultra Model 4670X sends overheating message.

Just to summarize, I'm still having this issue. I stream Premier League content but I don't think it matters. (I got a Roku because the Premier League won't let NBC put their content on either an XBox or a Playstation.) I didn't have a problem until NBC released version 3 of their app. It starts about 10-15 minutes into the stream and triggers every 4-5 minutes or less. It doesn't stop after that. I've spoken with NBC Sports support and they deny responsibility. (They told me I should've bought a Fire TV Stick.) Roku support has been responding but only to ask for a constant stream of details. One other person, Thunderbox, reported that Roku gave them a new Ultra unit but we don't know if that fixed the problem.

0 Kudos
Nugatti
Level 8

I “solved” my problem by getting a free Xfinity Flex streaming box. If you have Comcast/Xfinity broadband they will send you one for free. No surprise NBC gold works fine on it (Comcast owns NBC). I’m also able to watch NBC gold on my secondary TV where I use a ROKU streaming stick.

0 Kudos
Thunderbox
Level 8

I have had my replacement ultra for about a week now. I have not had an overheat issue to date. As I stated earlier in the thread, my original ultra did not exhibit any issue for the first two months of ownership. I stream Premiere league (Go Gunners) and have tested it with no issues.

I will withhold judgement until some time goes by to see if the issue is resolved.

Roku support in an email to me stated that a replacement ultra would fix my issue.

We will see.

Good luck and keep documenting here so a record can be kept.

0 Kudos
ClarkiePensFan
Level 7

I too started getting the Temp Check issue today after installing the NBC Sports channel on my Ultra Model 4670X and watching NHL hockey.  No other channel on this device gives this message after over 3 months of usage.

0 Kudos
Blackhawks_fan
Level 8

We have not had the problem with watching hockey on NBC Sports since we got a new Ultra. We put the old on one a TV that we don't use as much. I know that's not the answer anyone wants, but it's what worked for us.

0 Kudos
sttrapthony
Level 7

Just received my brand new Roku Ultra (4670 series) yesterday & as soon as I started watching hockey on the NBCSN app, I received the overheating message a few mins later. So far I've received it twice in the span of a hour. I even have my Roku on a shelf, alone, no enclosed w/a ton of open space around it. I want to know why the app is causing this message & could it possibly be a false-positive

Edit: I have the Roku Ultra (4660, 4661, 4662 series) (4660X2) & it's connected to a non-4K Samsung TV & this device doesn't overheat at all when using the NBCSN app, so that might be worth noting.

0 Kudos
Blackhawks_fan
Level 8

Our new Ultra has been fine with our Samsung 4K TV. The old one we connected to an older 1080p TV and its been working ok. Not sure what the issue is, just glad I can watch hockey again. 

0 Kudos
hmundo
Level 7

I got my Roku Ultra on Saturday March 28. I'm getting the same problem. It displays a, overheating message on my TV screen.  My device it's place on top of my TV stand in the wide open. Let me know if you get a solution.

0 Kudos
sttrapthony
Level 7

The solution was to contact Roku and link them this thread and then they replaced mine. Ask for a return label if they do decide to replace it.

0 Kudos
mskenny
Level 8

They sent me a new one as well, though I had to pay to ship my old one to them. As there is no Premier League happening, I haven't tested it yet.

0 Kudos