Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dashaund
Level 8

Re: ROKU Ultra Model 4670X sends overheating message.

Just wanted to chime in that I've got the same issue with overheating while watching the NBC Sports app (version 6.0 build 22) on my 4670X running 9.2.0 build 4807-46.  I was about to submit an RMA to Roku until I found this thread and it's specifically the NBC Sports app.  I'll send an e-mail to the NBC Sports e-mail noted to chime in.

0 Kudos
kellyprn
Level 8

Holy Cow! I just started having the same issue after installing, paying for a year & watching  NBC Sports Gold Daytona Race for a few hours. We also have it on a shelf away from the TV with good circulation around it. It never flashed red or even had the flashing white light. The white light has been solid but we get the onscreen message that it is overheating. We tried unplugging it and not using it for quite a while then as soon as we start watching again we get the overheating message. The unit feels warm but not overly hot. Ours is a 4670R 

0 Kudos
Mudpuppy
Level 7

Another instance of the overheating message on my Ultra 4670 while watching the NBCSports app; trackpass for the Daytona 24 race. 

Not a single issue with the Ultra till I started using the NBC Sports app to watch the sports car race. 

0 Kudos
Thunderbox
Level 8

Just got my replacement Roku Ultra today and swapped it out. Got all the apps set up and started watching on the NBC sports app. So far no overheating issues but I should mention I am not watching a live premiere league streaming event (My gold package) and in addition the issue with my old Roku did not present itself until I had been using my Ultra for about 2 months.

A couple of other notes. The RMA replacement unit was new in an unopened box and does not appear to be a "refurb" or reused unit. Roku sent a prepaid label for the return trip home. ( I had thought that I had read that return postage was the users responsibility.

The version of the app that dropped on the new Ultra at setup is 6.0.22 and for the record I am hardwired into my router.

Keep posting your experiences so we can have a place to document issues for later reference.

Good luck.

EagleGrandpa
Level 9

Thanks for this information. So far in my exploration of this matter it really doesn't seem to matter what you're watching on the NBCSports App. So you could probably stream just about anything. It doesn't happen instantaneously, either. Do you know how to reach the hidden screen that shows the temperature? That is useful as well. It is: 5 X home button, fwd, down arrow, rewind, down arrow, fwd. Then you will see the hardware device temperature along with other info. Be informed that as soon as you start the sequence you no longer will be active on the NBCSports app and your device will immediately be cooling down from whatever temperature it was at. I also have an Ultra 4660 and it never throws the High Temp alarm but it also runs warmer with NBCSports than any other app I have on it.

I hope you find this info helpful and don't find the high temperature condition.

kellyprn
Level 8

Thanks for the info. We’ll have to check that too. So far no other high temp issues since Sunday when the race ended and we haven’t used that app since🤞

0 Kudos
Blackhawks_fan
Level 8

I purchased a new Roku Ultra and so far there are no issues with watching NBC Sports. I can watch hockey without overheating messages. Yippee!

0 Kudos
Sonofjuice
Level 7

So anyone find a solution for this besides buying a new Ultra? I just got my Roku Ultra (4670 series) at Christmas and never had this issue playing NBC Sports with my older cheaper devices. I spend a considerable amount for my Rugby Pass and don’t want to have to use my XBox one to view it cause not all matches show there.

0 Kudos
mskenny
Level 8

Have you had the problem again?  I'm still going back and forth with Roku support while they try to make me go away by requiring volumes of unnecessary information (I expect them to ask what the atmospheric pressure in the room is next.)

0 Kudos
kellyprn
Level 8

since we stopped using the channel we have had no issues. I suspect if we try using it again it will continue to happen. 

0 Kudos