Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EagleGrandpa
Level 9

ROKU Ultra Model 4670X sends overheating message.

I have a ROKU Ultra 4670 that is 1 month old. It has worked as expected since installation until yesterday when it started posting overheating messages on my TV screen.

The device is in an open room not near any heat producers, sitting on a glass top table. It is well ventilated. Room temperature is 60 deg Fahrenheit. There is a white light on the front of the device that flashes when the overheating message is displayed. It does not turn red. I followed the instructions to disconnect power for 10 minutes. There seems to be no degradation in picture quality or performance when the message is displayed.

My device is set up with a wired connection as the modem and router are situated close by. I moved the power to its own outlet as it had been in a power strip. This was because of an inference of low power/voltage issues. I am also wondering if going to wireless connection might run cooler for the device.

I would like to be able to look at a monitoring page which I'm sure must exist to see if there are any logs available for more information. 

Ultimately, I think my ULTRA is defective.

64 REPLIES 64\
EagleGrandpa
Level 9

Re: ROKU Ultra Model 4670X sends overheating message.

Additionally, the Software version is 9.2.0 Build 4806-46. Wondering if this could be an issue with software build.

RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@EagleGrandpa 

Thanks for the note.

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.

For more information visit our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
EagleGrandpa
Level 9

Hi Danny,

As I mentioned previously, I followed the online instructions pertaining to overheating. There is no red light flashing or solid, also noted in the original post. Additionally, you may have seen that the device is located in a room where the temperature averages 60 deg Fahrenheit and the device is not affected by any other components. I feel pretty certain either this is a software  related bug or I have a defective device.

Thank you. 

RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@EagleGrandpa 

If that doesn't seem to resolve the issue, feel free to send me a PM with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your device from Settings>System>About. I'll follow up directly to assist you more from there!

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
natelennard
Level 7

I’m experiencing the same issue. I just replaced my roku 3 with an ultra and now it is saying it overheating. Anything I can do I unplugged 3 times and still doing it

okaussie3
Level 10

I have a streaming stick + and had an issue with overheating.

Found it only happened when my TV went into 4K and UHD mode.  It transferred heat from the back panel of my TV through the metal of my ROKU connector to the the ROKU.  Thereby causing it to overheat.  I was sent an extender cable, tried it again and no more overheating issues.

That's what fixed my problem..

Bill

mskenny
Level 8

I also have an Ultra 4670x and am having the exact same problem. I've even hung the Ultra over the edge of the shelf so there's air all around and I still get the overheating message. I was using the NBC Sports app at the time.

EagleGrandpa
Level 9

Funny...I think I was watching NBCSports App also when mine threw the hi temp warning. I think it was Sunday night NFL Football.

Tree
Level 7

I was watching the NBC Sports App also when I got this message for the first time. Came online to find answers. Welp. Guess that's the culprit.