Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ShellyandWally
Level 7

ROKU Premiere Overheating at 13 months after purchase

My ROKU Premiere purchased on December 5th 2019 has started overheating consistently after about 15 minutes of usage. It is operating where it has been for the last 7 months. Its slightly in front of and below a 32" TV, not a particularly hot location at all.  When an electronic device begins overheating like this it is a classic failure mode for electronics. When I inquire about a warranty exchange I receive a message that my device is not eligible. I can only assume I had a 12 month warranty that just ran out last month.  I am very disappointed with ROKU, expect better quality than this.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6\
boogernose
Level 18

Re: ROKU Premiere Overheating at 13 months after purchase

just keep a bucket of ice on it.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
lelmo05
Level 7

i am having the same problem did you ever get a response from Roku?  We unplug it for a few minutes and then it works.   Any real ideas supplied other than keeping it in a bucket of ice?  

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

My personal opinion is that the Premiere is a failed device.  Of the myriad of Rokus I have owned it's the only one that overheats. If it's no longer under warranty, I think the bucket of ice is the only solution.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Echoing @renojim, although I am not having any streaming or connection issues with my Premiere, it is increasingly operating at higher temps.  Since mine is well out of warranty, I am fairly certain that it just needs a new application of thermal grease/compound (Arctic Silver or the like)  on the processor which should help cool it down.  Probably just dried up and no longer dissipating heat properly.  One of those things on the to-do list.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.

0 Kudos
renojim

@AvsGunnar, I think you'll find there's no heat sinks in there at all, but I can't remember exactly what I found when I opened it up.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

Looking at some teardowns of Expresses and Premieres, it looks like the processor is under a standard can enclosure that pops off and has a dollop of thermal paste directly on processor to underside of the can.  Looks like the old dual band Premier and the Ultra use a sil or thermal pad on top side of this can to transfer heat to an actual heat sink. (instead of the thermal paste directly on processor).  Visible impression in can in both instances where the processor is located and contacts can.

I am starting to show orangish-amber (high 90s/95-99 celcius) with streaming and no apparent issues, but have definitely left the yellow-amber readings behind.   I wish I had checked the Premiere when new to see what the original operating temp was as a benchmark.  I do know it recently was in low 80's (Feb) when providing to another community member as a reference point to his operating temp and both of ours were similar.  TV set to 720 and family member rarely streams anything else but Filmrise.  

If I do get around to it, I will take some pics and see how much (if any) some fresh paste will have on the temps.  Maybe I can find some time next weekend. 

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.

0 Kudos