Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sgkane
Level 7

ROKU Not Recognized by TV

I have a ROKU 2; purchased in 2012. I had not used it for quite a while --the new Samsung (new last year, anyway) smart hub has proved sufficient in terms of app selection. Recently, however, I turned to the ROKU and the TV does not seem to recognize the connection--I get a black screen saying no signal. So I changed HDMI inputs--same thing. Changed HDMI cable. Same thing. Unplugged the ROKU; changed remote batteries. No matter what I do the TV does not recognize that a ROKU is connected. Do I need a new ROKU?

TV: Samsung, UN60F6350
ROKU 2

Thank you in advance.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
knuckle
Level 7

Re: ROKU Not Recognized by TV

with the roku plugged in and hooked up unplug the tv from power for a minute then plug back in
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T
0 Kudos
sgkane
Level 7

"knuckle" wrote:
with the roku plugged in and hooked up unplug the tv from power for a minute then plug back in

Will try tonite. Thanks!
0 Kudos
Williamt100
Level 9

... were you able to get the ROKU working again after unplugging the TV?

Just curious -- I have a Philips HD TV and found that it occasionally has problems with the HDMI port that requires me to change inputs via the TV remote, (e.g., HDMI -> PC -> HDMI) in order for it to respond to the ROKU.

I have the ROKU powered by the wall adapter and leave it plugged in to HDMI 2. I generally just turn the TV off when not watching.

The ROKU goes into screensaver mode, but sometimes the TV appears to have problems when turned on again.

The screen appears to freeze (i.e., the ROKU appears not to respond to commands from its remote), but simply switching the TV input to another port and back again appears to clear the problem (most of the time).
Roku 3500X
Roku 4400X
Roku 4661X
0 Kudos
theuser86
Level 7

Sounds like a HDMI sync issue.

Have you tried a different HDMI cable? Or tried using another HDMI port other than #2?
0 Kudos
Williamt100
Level 9

"theuser86" wrote:
Sounds like a HDMI sync issue.

Have you tried a different HDMI cable? Or tried using another HDMI port other than #2?

I'll try swapping HDMI ports and see if the problems persists -- I was curious as to whether unplugging the TV worked for the original poster. Curiously, this problem (the one I described in my post) seemed to have started around the first week of October. I turned off the beta screen mirroring, but that didn't seem to make a difference.
Roku 3500X
Roku 4400X
Roku 4661X
0 Kudos
sgkane
Level 7

I apologize; I have been traveling and have not responded. I certainly appreciate all the posters that have contributed.

I did, indeed, unplug the TV as directed. I have also used different HDMI cables and different ports on the TV, all to no avail.
0 Kudos
Dick_Drivel
Level 7

The HDMI jack might be compromised. One of the pins recently broke off inside my HDMI jack and I can now only use that specific Roku via the AV jack.
You will need a bright light and perhaps a magnifying glass to determine the status of your Roku's HDMI socket.
0 Kudos
Janelle
Level 7

I have a stick on a Roku TV. It's no longer being recognized. The light is not coming on. I have used the reset button holding for over a minute. Unplugged the TV from the wall. Tried 2 different USB ports on that TV. Plugged it into a different TV and it didn't work. Plugged my Ruku 3 (a different Roku) into the same TV and it worked. It is just this one stick. There are no batteries and no other source of power. It goes directly into the TV it came with. I've had this one for years and watched it the night before it went out.
0 Kudos
Deaun
Level 7

Here is a reply, 4 years late, but better than never! Same circumstances, went through same steps:
Checked all connections
Reset button
Unplugged a variety of connecting components from power; replugged
Changed HDMI ports
Called wireless provider and double-checked their end
After all of this, I changed the HDMI port again...and Roku awoke! I had to re-pair the remote, enter all my logon info, and download EVERYTHING again, but it is working now. Best wishes to anyone else out there who runs into this little glitch. I feel both elated at solving the issue, and stupid for not getting it the first time. Am now plugged into port 4, by the way.
0 Kudos