Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
badbud65
Level 7

ROKU Express [UK] HDMI Passthrough for Digital Sound via S/PDIF

I have recently purchased the Roku Express Streaming Player in the UK and a HMDI passthrough device with a S/PDIF connector so I can have Dolby Digital and/or DTS sound from my Amplifier. So I purchased this device LiNKFOR HDMI Audio Extractor HDMI to Optical Spdif Toslink Converter for that purpose. However even though the passthrough works and I get sound from my Amplifier it is not Dolby Digital and/or DTS.

Can someone recommend a converter that will achieve the goal of getting Dolby Digital and/or DTS? Needs to be available and compatible for the UK market. Rather than I trial several devices and return most (if not all) when they don't achieve the goal of getting Digital 5.1 sound via my amplifier.

NOTES:
My amplifier is both Dolby Digital and DTS compatible and works fine with my Blu Ray Player and also with Virgin Media Set Top Box which I was able to get Dolby Digital from channels that had it available, e.g. BBC, iPlayer and Netflix. I have many streaming services installed on the Roku Express, including iPlayer, Netflix, Amazon Prime, none of which I get Digital 5.1 sound from.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
badbud65
Level 7

Re: ROKU Express [UK] HDMI Passthrough for Digital Sound via S/PDIF

Can no one help me resolve this issue?

I have now returned the device mentioned above and purchased another similar device and made sure I have an HDMI 1.4 cable, but I still do not receive any compatible channels in Dolby Digital, all are in 2.0 Stereo only.

I have read around the internet and haven't found a similar problem to mine to help with this issue. The ROKU Express specifically states it does pass through Dolby Digital  and DTS via the HDMI, but the two devices I've used thus far that state they are able to do this have failed. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can resolve this problem?
0 Kudos

Is your Roku set for DD+ output as opposed to Auto from the HDMI?  It could be the feedback the Roku is getting from the adapter isn't indicating that DD+ is supported?

Why can't you connect the Roku directly to your amp via HDMI?
SoundBridge M500 (retired), PhotoBridge HD1000 rev. B (retired)
Roku 2 XS (retired), Roku XD (retired)
Roku 3 x2, Roku 2, Roku Ultra
0 Kudos
badbud65
Level 7

I've tried every audio permutation there is, all with the same outcome, stereo sound only. 

My AV Amp doesn't support HDMI. It's a Kenwood KRF-X9050D circa 2000

Plus the TV a SONY KDL-32D3000 has a SPDIF pass through but that doesn't support Dolby Digital/DTS as I tested it via my Blu-Ray player which supports DD & DTS via SPDIF direct to the AV Amp but not when passed through the TV. I tested that via the Blu-Ray player first to see if it would work with the ROKU rather than having to buy another device. 
0 Kudos