Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
notumbo
Level 7

ROKU 3 overheating issue

Our ROKU 3 unit keeps dropping the internet connection, despite being ethernet wired. All other devices do not lose the Internet connection - only the ROKU player. Have changed cables, have re-booted multiple times, have unplugged/re-plugged, have rebooted the router repeatedly - no changes. BUT - if I unplug the ROKU for an hour and restart it - peachy keen - for a while. Then it drops the Internet again. What I started to notice was how warm the unit gets, despite being on a raised table with nothing around it. But the hottest part of the unit is the bottom. So what the hell is up with that? Does the unit need a cooling fan or something, or is it a defective unit? I have contacted ROKU support several times, and they've been useless - "Have you re-booted, have you done - and yes, I have done all the things they tell me to do, and they just keep saying the same things. As though their support guy is sitting in a little room with no connection to reality and speaking from the same page their FAQ is posted on. Does ANYBODY else have a clue about this?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
renojim
Level 10

Re: ROKU 3 overheating issue

What temperature does it show on the Platform Secret Screen?

Press Home 5 times, FF, Play, Rew, Play, FF

Note: The Rew, Play, and FF buttons are all in the same row (don't confuse Left/Right arrows with Rew/FF). You have to complete the entire sequence within a few (15?) seconds and you should ignore anything happening on-screen.

-JT
0 Kudos
T_J
Level 7

I have a Premiere Plus and Roku 2 (4210), both work perfectly all the time. The Premiere Plus sets on an old VCR (I don't use the VCR); the VCR top is thin metal, so helps dissipate Roku heat. The Roku 2 sets on a $1 metal electrical box I bought at Lowes in the electrical department, box is 4inch x 4inch x 1.5inch and helps dissipate heat. I use Ethernet for both Rokus. I did put a little black electrical tape on the front side of the electrical box, to help conceal it some. Home Depot would have these electrical boxes also. Electrical box acts like the fan/heat sink on my 2001 GeForce 3 Ti500 video card (replaced the Nvidia NV-1017 fan/heat sink  in 2014, old fan died). 
0 Kudos
notumbo
Level 7

"renojim" wrote:
What temperature does it show on the Platform Secret Screen?

Press Home 5 times, FF, Play, Rew, Play, FF

Note:  The Rew, Play, and FF buttons are all in the same row (don't confuse Left/Right arrows with Rew/FF).  You have to complete the entire sequence within a few (15?) seconds and you should ignore anything happening on-screen.

-JT

Sorry, those directions just take me to Custom Theme, nothing called Platform Secret Screen. This is a Roku 3, 2015 model.
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 10

"notumbo" wrote:
Sorry, those directions just take me to Custom Theme, nothing called Platform Secret Screen. This is a Roku 3, 2015 model.

I'd have to say you're doing it wrong. I have the same model and that button sequence has worked for years. I believe you have to be using the remote, so if you're using an app on you phone I don't know if it will work. Also, make sure you not using the Right/Left arrow buttons. There's no way FF/Play(Pause)/Rew could take you anywhere other than up and down within the left menu after you press Home 5 times.

-JT
0 Kudos