Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: No more 5.1 Sound -Ultra Stopped Supporting Dolby D

"Heyitsrick" wrote:
"oldbuzzard" wrote:
Rokudale,

That's not true. Roku sent me a current model and not only did it not support Dolby D, some downloaded files had no sound, as opposed to being downcoverted to stereo as my original model did. FYI DTS still works fine

As a reader, I'm confused with this statement. Are you saying you now have two Ultras, one with the optical (Model 4640X _Roku Ultra) and another "current model" Ultra? 4640x is the one from 2016 that has the optical port in addition to HDMI.  
Just a test, I would remove the thumb drive, and once removed, reboot the Roku. Post reboot, see if any streaming apps (no thumb drive installed) provide Dolby out.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I can confirm the same problem. I went out of my way to buy a first-gen Ultra to get the optical out and DD 5.1 support. It used to work perfectly, passing the 5.1 through both the optical and HDMI ports. My unit got a software update two days ago. Now it's downgrading all 5.1 content on the HDMI port to Dolby Pro-Logic, just the way the 2nd gen unit does (I had one and returned it). What's more, the optical port is now all screwed up. It _can_ pass 5.1, but most of the time it sends nothing. The system-level sounds, etc all send no stream at all. I can fire up Plex and play music, which seems to "reset" the stream, after which the system sounds will then play. But basically my Ultra is now bordering on unusable. Very, very unhappy!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Same issue here. Using the old ultra via optical. Glad a bug report has already been raised. Thought I was going crazy at first Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

"oldbuzzard" wrote:
"RokuDale" wrote:
The current ultra never supported DD+ transcode to dd. it has same dolby capabilities as roku 3. it can only passthru. are you saying that playback of dolby encoded files to your avr itself is not working?

On streaming aps (Netflix, Amaon, Vudu) it downgrades everything to stereo. Downloaded mkv. files play anything encoded with Dolby with no sound at all. Its too bad whomever I spoke to that suggested the newer model didn't realize that there was no support at all in it for Dolby D.

As for what happened, its pretty clear that the last update in May killed support for Dolby D transcode. I'm unclear as to why you haven't already been able to replicate that. Please let me know if its something you intend to fix or whether I need to find a new streaming device. Thanks

He (RokuDale) did say they filed a bug report on this issue up thread. I'm guessing that means they have been able to replicate the problem.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I just encountered this bug when connecting my Roku Ultra 4640R via HDMI to my TV (which only does DD 5.1 passthrough over HDMI to my AV receiver).  I previously had my Ultra connected via HDMI to the AV receiver which caused me to experience the 8.1 sleep bug.  Guess I'll have to live with the sleep bug for the time being.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I've discovered I'm able to get DD 5.1 output when I connect my Ultra 4640 via optical to my Yamaha RX-V371 receiver.  Unfortunately, now I've run into another bug where menu/system sounds are silenced once I've opened an app and started an audio/video feed (Update: It looks like this doesn't happen with PCM stereo feeds that don't engage the DD decoder).  When I exit back to the home screen, the system sounds are gone until I reboot.  Not that big of a deal to me, but a bug nonetheless.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Dang....I have two of these, purchased specifically for the DD+ to DD conversion.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Have the same problem. DTS appears to still work. AAC 5.1 and AC3 5.1 are toast. I was about to attempt a factory reset. The transcoding feature is the entire reason I bought this ultra. I really hope they fix this soon. Or maybe it’s time to switch to firestick/Alexa
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Add me to the list experiencing this bug. I have a Roku Ultra (2016 model with optical out) connected via HDMI. Was getting DD 5.1 sound with Netflix, Vudu, Amazon Prime Video, Plex, etc. until the recent update. Now everything is down-mixing to stereo sound. We had a similar update bug which broke 5.1 DD last year, that took some time to be sorted out. Once it was, the sound worked great for months. Disappointed to see it happen again.

Is this bug being worked on, or is it considered an obsolete model so no fix will be provided?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

OK to amend my previous comment, there is indeed a bug with the old 2016 Ultra. it no longer encodes  DD 5.1 over HDMI, for example from Netflix DD+ 5.1. Netflix still offers the 5.1 option. DD5.1 encoding still works fine over optical for me. and DD+ works fine over HDMI. but if set to Dolby Digital  - just get stereo PCM stereo over HDMI. even more amazingly, sources that are originally in AC3 5.1 - that is no DD+ involved, no need to transcode anything - are  also now stereo over HDMI.

I have to say the amount of audio bugs with Roku is astounding. I'm counting the DTS sync bug that persists from 1.5 years ago, through all the updates. I'm kind of locked into it with two Rokus and even worse a Roku TV, but boy do I regret it. HOURS UPON HOURS wasted on this crap, especially to get synced audio from my Roku TV to AV receiver via HDMI ARC or optical/spdif. never again.

I really REALLY advise everyone to stay the hell away from Roku TVs, because unless you are OK with using the 5W built in speakers you will have  to get sound out to a receiver or soundbar, which will involve HDMI ARC or digital/optical out, and will lose your mind. the only reliable way to get it done is stick another Roku into our AV then out to the Roku TV... a real life "Yo dawg i herd you like Rokus so we put a Roku in your Roku" meme.
0 Kudos