Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: No more 5.1 Sound -Ultra Stopped Supporting Dolby D

And yes, the Roku is connected directly to the Amp Via HDMI
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"Heyitsrick" wrote:
What particular apps? Many of the streaming apps are using DD+ now for Dolby, in which case you are going to get PCM 2-channel audio. And you certainly don't have to spend $1000 to get a HT receiver to provide the audio formats you need. Here's a NEW Denon that has all the modern features (4K HDR, etc.) for $229 at Amazon. If you look at the "Other Sellers", there's a refurb with a full 1-year Denon warranty for $129 (plus $25 shipping). That's cheaper than an Apple TV latest gen. 

Link:  Denon AVRS530BT

Pic: 

That is fantastic price on that receiver. However, that unit doesn’t include Dolby Atmos or DTS X. Unless it’s an extremely tight budget, I recommend buying the 720 or 730 model for a little more. I bought a refurb AVR720 for $199 from amazon (with 1 year warranty). Ridiculous bang for buck considering it sells for $600 plus elsewhere.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"oldbuzzard" wrote:
Everything worked fine until about a month ago and now nothing Dolby encoded works - and everything is fine on my smart TV functions. So its definitely something that was part of a Roku update. Also, I have a really good 5.1 system - I'm not going to replace a $1000 receiver with a low end one. If I'm going to do it, I would get a comparable one that has all of the connectivity bells and whistles (that I really don't need with the ROKU) that can auto update so that I don't run into format incompatibility again. But I don't want to do that, because the sound out of my 10 year old Yamaha is awesome and I won't use a lot of the functions and capability I'd get from a new receiver. I'd have to upgrade my TV (Last of the Panasonic Plasmas) to a connected 4K model, also, not ready to do that either.

What I really want is either for the Roku to work like it did when I bought it until last month, or spend less than $200 on another streaming device that supports Dolby D and has a USB port. Anyone have any thoughts?

I'm curious about this though a bit confused. Are you having this problem with Roku channels such as Netflix or others, or is it exclusive to content on the thumb drive. I ask since I have a Roku 3 but recently purchased an LG OLED TV so I'm looking at upgrading to the Roku Ultra. My Marantz AVR isn't the latest but supports ARC and DD+ so I have no audio problems at all. I do NOT use a thumb drive however. Thanks
Roku 3 - Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
LG OLED55B7A, Roku 3, Marantz SR-6005, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

It happens on everything that encodes with Dolby - streaming or something on a thumb drive. It just downconverts everything dolby to stereo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

A bug report has been filed. This only affects the first generation Ultra, the one with an optical port. All other players including the current ones being sold are not affected.

Update: Issue was reported against 4640 devices on OS 8.1 and has been resolved. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Rokudale,

That's not true. Roku sent me a current model and not only did it not support Dolby D, some downloaded files had no sound, as opposed to being downcoverted to stereo as my original model did. FYI DTS still works fine
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

The current ultra never supported DD+ transcode to dd. it has same dolby capabilities as roku 3. it can only passthru. are you saying that playback of dolby encoded files to your avr itself is not working?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

"oldbuzzard" wrote:
Rokudale,

That's not true. Roku sent me a current model and not only did it not support Dolby D, some downloaded files had no sound, as opposed to being downcoverted to stereo as my original model did. FYI DTS still works fine

As a reader, I'm confused with this statement. Are you saying you now have two Ultras, one with the optical (Model 4640X _Roku Ultra) and another "current model" Ultra? 4640x is the one from 2016 that has the optical port in addition to HDMI.  
Just a test, I would remove the thumb drive, and once removed, reboot the Roku. Post reboot, see if any streaming apps (no thumb drive installed) provide Dolby out.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

"RokuDale" wrote:
The current ultra never supported DD+ transcode to dd. it has same dolby capabilities as roku 3. it can only passthru. are you saying that playback of dolby encoded files to your avr itself is not working?

If the current Ultra can passthrough DD+ (as you said above) then why not other formats like HD audio? If it truly has passthrough it should pass any audio unless, of course, it actually reads the audio and determines whether to pass it on or decode/transcode it. If that's the case then it is not truly "passthrough." Passthrough would leave the audio untouched and not blocked in the HDMI stream.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"RokuDale" wrote:

On streaming aps (Netflix, Amaon, Vudu) it downgrades everything to stereo. Downloaded mkv. files play anything encoded with Dolby with no sound at all. Its too bad whomever I spoke to that suggested the newer model didn't realize that there was no support at all in it for Dolby D.

As for what happened, its pretty clear that the last update in May killed support for Dolby D transcode. I'm unclear as to why you haven't already been able to replicate that. Please let me know if its something you intend to fix or whether I need to find a new streaming device. Thanks
0 Kudos