Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oldbuzzard
Level 7

[RESOLVED] - No more 5.1 Sound - Ultra (model 4640) Stopped Supporting Dolby D

One day about 5 weeks ago, I noticed that nothing streamed (or played from a thumb drive) encoded in Dolby. My receiver only supports Dolby D, which worked fine with the Roku Ultra til the end of May. Now it down-converts everything to stereo that was in Dolby 5.1. The Audio settings in the apps don't show a 5.1 option anymore and I have the device set up correctly - for Dolby D and DTS 5.1. The auto detect setting also sets it up that way. DTS still works fine, so I assume Roku just decided not to support Dolby D (I assume but don't know for sure that D+ still works), which kinda sucks.

I have a really nice 5.1 system with an old (10 years) but high end amp that sounds wonderful, just doesn't have all of the connectivity bells and whistles. I don't want to spend $1000 for a comparable amp that supports all the new formats - so I guess I'll just have to replace my streaming device with one that supports Dolby D.

Anyone else notice this?
0 Kudos
56 Replies
Heyitsrick
Level 11

Re: No more 5.1 Sound -Ultra Stopped Supporting Dolby D

What particular apps? Many of the streaming apps are using DD+ now for Dolby, in which case you are going to get PCM 2-channel audio. And you certainly don't have to spend $1000 to get a HT receiver to provide the audio formats you need. Here's a NEW Denon that has all the modern features (4K HDR, etc.) for $229 at Amazon. If you look at the "Other Sellers", there's a refurb with a full 1-year Denon warranty for $129 (plus $25 shipping). That's cheaper than an Apple TV latest gen. 

Link:  Denon AVRS530BT

Pic: 
0 Kudos
oldbuzzard
Level 7

Everything worked fine until about a month ago and now nothing Dolby encoded works - and everything is fine on my smart TV functions. So its definitely something that was part of a Roku update. Also, I have a really good 5.1 system - I'm not going to replace a $1000 receiver with a low end one. If I'm going to do it, I would get a comparable one that has all of the connectivity bells and whistles (that I really don't need with the ROKU) that can auto update so that I don't run into format incompatibility again. But I don't want to do that, because the sound out of my 10 year old Yamaha is awesome and I won't use a lot of the functions and capability I'd get from a new receiver. I'd have to upgrade my TV (Last of the Panasonic Plasmas) to a connected 4K model, also, not ready to do that either.

What I really want is either for the Roku to work like it did when I bought it until last month, or spend less than $200 on another streaming device that supports Dolby D and has a USB port. Anyone have any thoughts?
0 Kudos
Miami_Son
Level 8

If only Roku would support audio passthrough these issues would not be a problem.
atc98092
Level 16

Which model Roku Ultra do you have? There are two of them, and they have different DD support. . 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
starl1te
Level 9

Mine works fine. Ultra 4640X 8.0.1

Only the older Ultra encodes DD, the new cheap "Ultra" is just a rebranded Premiere and does not.

Assuming you are using optical/spdif, just set those to Dolby instead of Auto and Netflix should offer 5.1. If it doesnt you probably have the new Ultra. with that you can use Neo:6 or  DD PLII on your receiver, almost as good.

what really doesnt work is the DTS, don't know how you're using that... it's way out of sync for me and many others, problem's been around for like 1.5 years now.
0 Kudos
oldbuzzard
Level 7

Mine doesn't - it did then it stopped. Also, there is an 8.1 update coming in phases. That one may kill it on yours
0 Kudos
oldbuzzard
Level 7

I have an Ultra from 2017. It has the 8.1 update, but it stopped working in late May. I Use HDMI, not optical cable
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 8

@oldbuzzard - what model roku and what version of firmware are you using? I presume your Roku is directly connected to the AVR and the thumbdrive is directly connected to the Roku.
Ultra does support Dolby5.1 and DD+ passthru. Are you using RMP to play the files on your USB drive? If not what app are you using
0 Kudos
oldbuzzard
Level 7

@Rokudale

Model 4640X _Roku Ultra
Firmware 8.10 Build 4137-29

Yes, I use the Roku Media player to play files from the thumb drive. Files that used to play in 5.1 no longer do. Anything encoded in Dolby gets down-converted to stereo, but DTS still works fine. This happens whether I manually configure the player for Dolby D or let the auto detect do it. FWIW, the auto detect seems to work - it shows Dolby D and DTS, but the unit just stopped recognizing it about a month ago. All other apps still encode everything fine - including the media player native to my TV. The only problem is the ROKU.

I would hate to have to scrap it and buy a NVIDIA shield, but that's what I'm leaning toward. 
0 Kudos