Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: No more 5.1 Sound -Ultra Stopped Supporting Dolby D

Ha, this one was entirely my fault, and the fact that when I looked up my symptoms online I found this current thread with the same problems for my exact model was just a massive red herring.

My 5.1 receiver doesn't have enough optical ins, so I use a physical toslink switch, which I almost never have to touch. But last week I had to set it to the TV source rather than the Roku, and forgot to set it back. So the roku was sending DD over HDMI to the TV, and the TV can't pass that through, out its own optical to the receiver. But since it can pass all other audio, I completely forgot I wasn't in the usual input configuration until I tried re-seating the optical cable from the Roku and my jaw dropped when the stereo sound kept playing regardless Smiley Happy

Sorry for the false alarm.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

"RokuDale" wrote:
 Please check for a firmware update for the 4640.

Any firmware changes for TCL Roku TVs running 8.1? Continual audio decode issues...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I am glad I found this post and this forum!  I was about purchase new HDMI cables for my Roku Ultra, Yamaha RX-A1070 and LG Smart TV. 
On my AV receiver input screen, when I am using Netflix, it lists PCM and 2.0 stereo when it used to list 5.1.
While I now know that this is a firmware issue (my firmware:8.1.0, Build: 4145), is there a fix in the works?  I have a 7.1 surround setup that cannot really be utilized if my Roku Ultra cannot pass Netflix 5.1 audio to my receiver.

If anyone out there has an answer, please let me know!
0 Kudos
Level 7

Unfortunately Roku has been mum about this. A locked thread called them out on this and all they could say was that they’re aware. It’s been over a month of people with high end systems borked because of this. I broke down and bought an ATV which comes with its own issues of course.

"kayleighk116" wrote:
I am glad I found this post and this forum!  I was about purchase new HDMI cables for my Roku Ultra, Yamaha RX-A1070 and LG Smart TV. 
On my AV receiver input screen, when I am using Netflix, it lists PCM and 2.0 stereo when it used to list 5.1.
While I now know that this is a firmware issue (my firmware:8.1.0, Build: 4145), is there a fix in the works?  I have a 7.1 surround setup that cannot really be utilized if my Roku Ultra cannot pass Netflix 5.1 audio to my receiver.

If anyone out there has an answer, please let me know!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"Miami Son" wrote:
If only Roku would support audio passthrough these issues would not be a problem.

EXACTLY!!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

This thread is specifically for the original Ultra model 4640 that has optical out exhibiting the problem of always sending out PCM instead of DD5.1 when a DD+ audio track is played.
The last 8.1 firmware release for the 4640 should have resolved this. Please make sure you have restored your audio settings to auto if using hdmi, or one of the DD options if using optical to make sure it is being enabled. For any other issues regarding TVs or something besides the DD+ to DD transcode not working, please start a new thread with appropriate title.
rokudale
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"RokuDale" wrote:
 A bug report has been filed. This only affects the first generation Ultra, the one with an optical port. All other players including the current ones being sold are not affected.

Not sure that’s quite true. Just bought a streaming stick and no surround from any source...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

"Hollada" wrote:
"RokuDale" wrote:
 A bug report has been filed. This only affects the first generation Ultra, the one with an optical port. All other players including the current ones being sold are not affected.

Not sure that’s quite true.  Just bought a streaming stick and no surround from any source...

This is a thread on the Ultra, not on the Stick. You should probably open a separate thread for your issue.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"DBDukes" wrote:
"Hollada" wrote:
"RokuDale" wrote:

Not sure that’s quite true.  Just bought a streaming stick and no surround from any source...

This is a thread on the Ultra, not on the Stick. You should probably open a separate thread for your issue.

I have. But it seems like a general sw f/up that impacts multiple devices.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

"RokuDale" wrote:
This thread is specifically for the original Ultra model 4640 that has optical out exhibiting the problem of always sending out PCM instead of DD5.1 when a DD+ audio track is played.
The last 8.1 firmware release for the 4640 should have resolved this. Please make sure you have restored your audio settings to auto if using hdmi, or one of the DD options if using optical to make sure it is being enabled. For any other issues regarding TVs or something besides the DD+ to DD transcode not working, please start a new thread with appropriate title.
rokudale

Is this issue still resolved now for the Ultra 4640 optical output with apps that use DD+ like amazon and vudu, even with the latest 9.0 firmware for the Ultra?
Roku Ultra 4640R, Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810R
0 Kudos