Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RTR
Reel Rookie

Purple screen after bootup

Jump to solution

I have a Roku Streaming Stick+ (model 3810 10.5.0 build 4208-50) and last night something weird started happening last night. The unit's been working fine since day one.

I was watching a streaming service yesterday evening (1/19/2022) and the unit froze, rebooted itself, started back up with the jumping Roku logo letters with the music and then just a purple screen, nothing else--no audio, no text. I waited for 20 minutes and nothing happened so I unplugged it from the power cube, waited a while and plugged it back in and the same thing happened. Also tried the reset button, same thing. Unplugged it from the power adapter, left it alone overnight and plugged it back in this morning and now it's working fine. I have a second unit in another room of the house and that one had no issues.

Does anyone here know what might have happened? Is it possible the unit is beginning to fail and I might need a new one?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku Stick infinite boot loop, will not connect to wifi

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

We have believe that this issue has been resolved.

If you still need assistance with your issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model and serial number/device ID found on your Roku device
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
vtmerr

Re: Purple screen after bootup

Jump to solution

It may be a coincidence, but I had exactly the same problem occur with my Roku Ultra last night. It's 3+ years old and had never had a problem before.

After several reboots and unplugging/replugging the power supply, the home screen did finally load, but after watching about five minutes of Netflix it froze and rebooted to a blank purple screen again. I haven't tried it yet today.

Hoping it's a software problem that will be fixed in an update.

0 Kudos
BobGa
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Last night there was a note at the top of the Roku said that said they were aware that everyone was having issues with their devices, and that they were working on it. 

I haven't checked it today yet to see if things are back to normal. 

0 Kudos
RTR
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Ah, yes. Saw that tweet last night but it said "some Roku services" and "activating devices" -- didn't think it referred to nothing working at all.

0 Kudos
BobGa
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

They downplayed it bit, I think...ok, a lot. It appeared to be pretty widespread. Everything seemed to be working correctly when I checked at lunch. 

0 Kudos
David38

Roku Stick infinite boot loop, will not connect to wifi

Jump to solution

Roku stick unresponsive. Can be rebooted. Have to re-link remote. Then the device remains responsive long enough to get to the wifi and start configuring it. Then the device reboots. Have tried a new good quality USB power adapter. No improvement. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

We have believe that this issue has been resolved.

If you still need assistance with your issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model and serial number/device ID found on your Roku device
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MHGaston
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I recently purchased a Roku Express 4K+, Model 3941X, S/N S07P41CXN36A.  I connected it to my TV, a Sony Bravia Model 40R510C, using the HDMI cable provided.  The Wifi connection worked and the Roku intro screen came up on the TV screen ok.

However, if I use the remote and click on any of the on-screen icons, Netflix, Youtube, and even the "setup" icon, the TV goes to a blank purple screen.  Then none of the navigation buttons on the remote work.  I have to unplug the Roku power and HDMI cables to get back to the Roku intro screen.

This is older TV that supports HDCP 2.1/2.1, but not 2.2.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@MHGaston

Thanks for the post.

Please be aware that the issue you are experiencing is most likely due to your TV not supporting HDMI 2.2. Have you tried connecting your Roku device to another TV that supports HDMI 2.2 to see if you are experiencing the same issue occur?

For more information about HDMI 2.2, visit our Support page here: Importance of HDCP 2.2 to 4K & HDR

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos