Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dman777
Level 8

Purple Screen on Ultra 2020

My Roku ultra 2020 displays a purple screen when I try to watch a channel or watch a youtube video. Only a reboot resolves this until the next time I turn on/off my TV. 

This replaced a 2016 Ultra using the same HDMI port and same HDMI cord. There is nothing wrong with the 2016 and it worked fine, I simply wanted to upgrade. Those cords work fine on the 2016 ultra. 

What is going on with this purple screen issue???!? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
renojim
Level 21

Re: Purple Screen on Ultra 2020

Purple/blue screens are often HDCP (copy protection) issues.  Even though everything worked with your old Roku, you should still try a different cable.

0 Kudos
dman777
Level 8

I switched cables and used the one that came with the Roku 2020 and still having the issue. 

dman777
Level 8

Any updates to this, please? It's driving me crazy

0 Kudos
mjmrad
Level 7

I think the exact same thing is happening to me...

It happens after the unit has been idle for maybe 30-60 minutes. A reboot always temporarily fixes it. I've already tried a different cable (including the one in the box from Roku), a different HDMI port, and even a different Ultra unit itself (I had bought several, some for other rooms). I've also already tried playing with the screen saver and display resolution settings. No dice.

The issue is only happening on my 2012 Samsung LED TV, but it's a very nice 65" and it would be very expensive to replace. I checked Samsung's web site, and there are no firmware updates available for that TV. I doubt it is HDCP 2.0 compatible, but I have other (smaller) 2012 Samsung TV's in the house that are not having this problem.  It should be usable by falling back to HDCP 1.4, based on previous experience.

At this point, I'm probably going to buy a Roku 3 from eBay and just use it, since I wasn't needing the 4K anyway. I'm just disappointed that the newest model is so buggy and unreliable.

0 Kudos