Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chenxiaolong
Level 7

Projector only supports limited RGB, but Roku outputs full RGB

I'm running into a problem where blacks are crushed when the Roku Ultra is connected to my projector (ViewSonic Pro8200). At the very least, this happens on the home screen, menus, HBO Now, and Netflix. It appears as though the Roku Ultra is outputting full RGB, but my projector only supports limited RGB. Is there a way to force the Roku device to always output in limited RGB? If not, I may need to return the device since dark scenes are very difficult to see.

Information about my setup:
* Device: Roku Ultra
* Projector: ViewSonic Pro8200
* Connection: Roku is directly connected to the projector via HDMI
* Resolution: 1080p at 60hz
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Re: Projector only supports limited RGB, but Roku outputs full RGB

Man, Roku doesn't seem to give a fig about how customers actually want to use a TV.

I don't have your specific model, but Roku firmware does not offer the same set of options that every other TV on the market offers. If your able, you get a refund and trade it in for a real TV before you run into even more issues. Unless your trying to use the built-in Roku apps and nothing else, a Roku tv isn't a great idea. Better off buying a real TV and a Roku stick, or better yet, a Google Chrome or Amazon stick.

Having said that, you may actually be in luck. 
https://support.roku.com/article/217786 ... r-roku-tv-

When I still had expert settings, before they disabled it (and in the process ruining the usefulness of the TV that I paid several hundred dollars for) I think it had some options that you're looking for. Still, I'd return it and get a real TV before they disable your expert settings which will probably happen when they start producing and selling 8K tvs or something.

Imagine if didn't have those expert settings. You'd be SOL. You might still be, but your best bet is those expert settings. I used to have them, now I don't, because they disabled them arbitrarily. F Roku,
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 9

Re: Projector only supports limited RGB, but Roku outputs full RGB

"pontiffholychurch" wrote:
Man, Roku doesn't seem to give a fig about how customers actually want to use a TV.

I don't have your specific model, but Roku firmware does not offer the same set of options that every other TV on the market offers. If your able, you get a refund and trade it in for a real TV before you run into even more issues. Unless your trying to use the built-in Roku apps and nothing else, a Roku tv isn't a great idea. Better off buying a real TV and a Roku stick, or better yet, a Google Chrome or Amazon stick.

Having said that, you may actually be in luck. 
https://support.roku.com/article/217786 ... r-roku-tv-

When I still had expert settings, before they disabled it (and in the process ruining the usefulness of the TV that I paid several hundred dollars for) I think it had some options that you're looking for. Still, I'd return it and get a real TV before they disable your expert settings which will probably happen when they start producing and selling 8K tvs or something.

Imagine if didn't have those expert settings. You'd be SOL. You might still be, but your best bet is those expert settings. I used to have them, now I don't, because they disabled them arbitrarily. F Roku,

It's not his "TV" that's the issue. He has a standalone Roku box.
0 Kudos