Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Problems with Roku Streaming Stick overheating

Jump to solution

Still got message after removing film so put small ice pack in dish that worked but will be returning when restrictions are lifted in pa.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have the same problem, room temp is 75 F, streaming stick is 113 C. What are they gonna do when it burns a house down? IT IS OBVIOUSLY A SAFETY ISSUE!!!!! THAT’S WHY THEY HAVE CPU COOLING FANS & HEAT SINKS IN COMPUTERS SO THE PROCESSORS & COMPONENTS WON’T OVERHEAT!!!! Definitely an engineering problem!!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I have 4 Streaming Sticks, one bought last summer, and three very recently.  The earlier one does not have remote pairing, nor the side mounted volume control.  The secret screen shows it maintaining a temperature of around 73°.  Two of the later ones maintain around 93°.  The one problem child has gotten as high as 107°, which is why I'm using a power strip in order to keep it off, unless I'm using it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have identified that this problem appears if you watch content on Amazon Prime Video and more on HDR. If I see Appletv + content it doesn't happen to me. Roku accepts that there is a problem with some encrypted applications and firmware should be expected to solve it, but it is clear that one of those applications is Amazon Prime Video.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Its on a charging device. So you would think once its fully charged unplug it. But if its not plugged into charger it stops working. I cant keep having company replacing a product for me that continues to have same issues. Nice of them to offer me a replacement, buying a new one or updated is out of the question. Im disabled. live on soc sec & just had a stroke. Cable box just sitting on my bedroom couch cant afford to have it installed...too expensive to have a tech come in. Esp during this virus crisis. Hope manufacturer fixes this issue or theyll start losing customers & start getting low product grades. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I found a little desktop fan and have it on when I’m using the Roko.  I have it blowing directly on the stick.  It won’t overheat as long as I have the fan on.  When I’m not using the Roku,  I completely unplug it from the TV and the charger.  It seems to be working for now until I either upgrade to a smart TV or get a new stick.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

It’s about time that Roku took responsibility for the over heating of their products.  I’m tired of the half baked responses that are offered.  

Save your product and your users fix the problem.

CLB

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Seriously, obviously a defect. Roku is doing nothing?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.

For more information visit our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?

If you have a Roku Streaming Stick, I'd recommend ordering a free HDMI extender from our website and seeing if that resolved your issue.

If you are still experiencing an issue, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Mine overheats pretty much daily.  I have it plugged into an extension cable.  Which devices do not overheat so I can replace the stick. Thanks

0 Kudos