Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JA_Motter
Level 7

Problems with Roku Streaming Stick overheating

On two of my 6 Roku Streaming Sticks I an starting to get “on-screen” notices that the Roku Streaming Stick is overheating. None of these sticks are more than 2 months old, so,I am concerned that all 6 will soon exhibit this flaw.

Roku’s tech support page (listed in the on-screen message) suggests that the RSS may be too close to some other piece of equipment that is producing heat, or that the RSS might be in too confined a space. But neither of these is true. My RSS is now connected through a 10” HDMI extension cable, so it is well away from the AV Receiver and the TV. It sits in an open space with adequate venting.

Is this a problem that many of you are also experiencing?

What is the solution? Please advise. Thank you.
0 Kudos
24 Replies
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Problems with Roku Streaming Stick overheating

What model Stick? There are several and aren't all the same hardware. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@JA Motter 

Thanks for reaching out. There are a variety of factors that can cause that type of message to appear, so it's hard to say what the issue might be. 

Please feel free to send me a PM w/ your Roku account email address, the serial number of the player(s) you are experiencing the issue on, and I'll connect you with our support team directly for further assistance or additional warranty options. We'll make sure to help get you taken care of. 

Thanks! 
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 8

"JA Motter" wrote:
On two of my 6 Roku Streaming Sticks I an starting to get “on-screen” notices that the Roku Streaming Stick is overheating. None of these sticks are more than 2 months old, so,I am concerned that all 6 will soon exhibit this flaw.

Roku’s tech support page (listed in the on-screen message) suggests that the RSS may be too close to some other piece of equipment that is producing heat, or that the RSS might be in too confined a space. But neither of these is true. My RSS is now connected through a 10” HDMI extension cable, so it is well away from the AV Receiver and the TV. It sits in an open space with adequate venting.

I haven't experienced this yet but I see another poster here today has, so it's probably a common issue based on just this observation.  IMO, although superficially this product appears useful it's only a 1-trick pony so if you were expecting more try to get your money back if possible and go another direction.
0 Kudos
Marinerman
Level 7

Buy and HDMI extension. It's about 3 inches long. 
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

"Chicken" wrote:
"JA Motter" wrote:

I haven't experienced this yet but I see another poster here today has, so it's probably a common issue based on just this observation.  IMO, although superficially this product appears useful it's only a 1-trick pony so if you were expecting more try to get your money back if possible and go another direction.

It's not.  I've been here for years.  My Streaming Stick has never overheated, even in my unconditioned garage in the summer.
Mr. Chicken is just one of those posters that didn't research what they bought and then cries about it at every chance.  
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 8

"twiceover" wrote:
"Chicken" wrote:
"JA Motter" wrote:

It's not.  I've been here for years.  My Streaming Stick has never overheated, even in my unconditioned garage in the summer.
Mr. Chicken is just one of those posters that didn't research what they bought and then cries about it at every chance.  

Point me to where the documentation says the ROKU chimps out if internet is unavailable. or the remote has to be repaired every couple days, or the RMP cannot locate network files via Samba?  I'm sure these minor issues wouldn't bother anyone wearing a house arrest leg band.
0 Kudos
taco56
Level 7

"Chicken" wrote:
"twiceover" wrote:
"Chicken" wrote:
"JA Motter" wrote:

Point me to where the documentation says the ROKU chimps out if internet is unavailable. or the remote has to be repaired every couple days, or the RMP cannot locate network files via Samba?  I'm sure these minor issues wouldn't bother anyone wearing a house arrest leg band.

None of that should be happening unless you're hitting it with a steel baseball bat.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

"Chicken" wrote:
"twiceover" wrote:
"Chicken" wrote:
"JA Motter" wrote:

I really can't tell what most of your sentence is.  "Chimps Out"?  House arrest leg band?  I'm so confused.  I'm also not affected by any of those issues you mention.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone, 

I just wanted to touch base here. Let's please keep the conversation constructive. If you have separate issues to discuss, please start a new thread with appropriate details about the behavior you are observing, along with relevant device and home environment information so we can try to assist you further. 

Derogatory statements or behaviors will not be tolerated and content will be removed in accordance with Roku Forum Guidelines: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=38665

Thanks again,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos