Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Problems with Roku Streaming Stick overheating

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.

For more information visit our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?

If you have a Roku streaming stick, I'd recommend ordering a free HDMI extender from our website and seeing if that resolves your issue.

If you are still unable to resolve the issue after following the above steps, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

My Roku is also overheating and has been since out of box.  Today I did notice that it remained hot hours after removing from TV, only cooling down after being unplugged from power strip.  This is an electrical fire hazard issue and should be addressed and recalled or the company could be held legally responsible for fire damage.  I cannot believe after months of issue with it the company has done nothing.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Had the same problem. Good customer service from Roku...bottom line, they replaced my unit with another (a refurb, but so what). Plugged it in with an extender...and the same thing. Not quite as hot as the old one, but still feels very warm, and running around 90C, which I think is high. I have two Fire Sticks and have never had that problem, so it appears to be an issue with the Roku.  Like I said, the customer service was good and timely, but I would think there should be a solution to this (tho I suspect that, if it's solved, they'll be replacing a lot of units, if these and other forum postings are any indication).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I had similar problems, occasionally with Amazon Prime, consistently with 4K content (mostly from YouTube). After I received my little HDMI extender from Roku, I plugged it in an arranged it so the Roku Stick was sticking out a couple of inches away from the TV. That seems to have fixed the problem - has run for several hours with no hiccups or dire messages. My guess is that the better airflow when it is not snugged into the back of the TV keeps the temperature down below some critical threshold.

Regarding other comments about the Roku staying warm while plugged in but while the rest of the TV is off, this has to be a fundamental design problem. Hard to imagine a real good reason why they aren't able to put the stick into a very reduced power status when the target TV is turned off. But probably will require a complete redesign to fix.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Does not accept my serial number.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have Roku stick Model 3810X.  I also have a contract with Caligeeks so when I kept getting this message: "your stick is overheating---contact Roku Support" I contacted Caligeeks.  Their advise was to ask for an extender which I did.  But they also told me that this is a common problem with that devise and that I should request a replacement stick from Roku.  I like this service and would hate to be without it.  Also, don't want to reinstall the old unit!

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

Unfortunately the instructions don't tell you to remove the clear plastic overwrap on the device that keeps it from getting scratched in shipment.  If you don't peel off this wrap (you may need to use your fingernail) the device will effectively have a nice (warm) blanket wrapped around it to help it heat up.  So first thing to do would be to remove this overwrap.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

You could take the plastic shell off and drill a bunch of holes in it so the heat has somewhere to escape, I had to do that with the first gen Roku and it solved all over heating issues. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you for your response. I think I have fixed the problem by using the short HDMI extension that Roku will give you upon request. I bent it and crossed it over an adjacent HDMI connection so that the Roku unit had free airflow all around instead of being tucked into the back of the TV with almost no clearance for airflow. Between the extra airflow and the lack of any heat transfer from the TV itself that seems to have cleared the problem - at least I never see the "Overheting" ,essage with 4K content anymore.

Hat's off the the user community and thumbs down to the Roku engineering team, who may never have done any thermal benhmarking in a real TV

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Roku overheats and their customer support sucks. I hate Roku. 

0 Kudos