Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Problems with Roku Streaming Stick overheating

Sorry, my attempt at making a humorous (English) comment. Well done at choosing a household item to fix your Roku device overheating problem! These brackets usually come in pairs? Hypothetically, if a bracket were supplied with a Roku device to keep it cool, a voucher to help obtain a 2nd would enable putting up a shelf after a firmware upgrade cured the problem.

0 Kudos
Level 8

If you break apart the housing, you will lose your warranty!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Danny, if you read my post in this topic I have been careful to describe a real problem with this latest 4K Roku Streaming Stick + where an overheating issue is being directly reported but also WiFi network disconnection as a consequence of overheating and final program clock freezing as a built-in protection routine without knowing whether the software has been written to recover adequately well since paid streaming services are intolerant of interruptions of a remote session, Now TV cannot recover by offering a "resume" option to start playing from the last known position, useful in these situations?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I don't think the problem has anything to do with the streaming content, 4K or O/W.  I have 4 sticks, 3 of which are connected to older big screens that can display 1080 content, and one connected to an HDMI converter that then connects to the audio and video ports of my '90's Panasonic CRT TV/VHS player combo.  So guess which one heats up? I doubt 480 resolution would cause it to get hot. I just ordered the free HDMI extender and will update when I receive it.

Highlighted
Level 7

Well, our streaming stick is less than two months old and all of a sudden today we have gotten several warnings that the device is overheating. There is nothing making the device warm at all. It is showing 113°C. That’s extremely hot. I am worried it is going to catch on fire. We bought it from Best Buy. I feel like we need to return it and buy an Apple TV.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

What I've done is to get a 6 outlet power strip and plug the ROKU power supply into it.  I leave the switch on the power strip off until I want to watch this TV, then switch it on.  In that way, the stick is not on all the time, so less chance to overheat when just on for an hour or two.  And I don't have to worry about the **bleep** thing catching fire at 2 in the morning when I'm asleep.

Highlighted
Level 7

Request in this link free.

https://my.roku.com/hdmi

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

The purpose of any extension cable is to separate your device from the supposed hotter (TV) device. In this instance unlikely. The issue is solvable but will require everybody to recognize Roku's responsibility in requesting an update to their design tools to remove a fault that is leading to an inappropriate use of their device features which in turn is causing an overheating problem during normal operation, i.e. watching encrypted streaming content via Wi-Fi connection. Once Roku have taken their appropriate action, an update to the firmware of their latest "Streaming Stick +" will end this overheating problem. For anybody who cannot wait, a micro USB fan could be temporarily attached to the body of the stick with "hot glue" or rubber bands as long as the fan blades are left free. Power can be fed from a 5V USB power supply plugged into an accessible mains power outlet running at your local Voltage.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Try taking off protective plastic coating

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Isn't "removing the protective plastic film" something you would do before using a new device? Otherwise I agree with you on this, anything that could contribute to an overheating issue should be explored. Good point.

0 Kudos